Review on the Shimano 12 Antares Needed

japanesebassman

I am interested in purchasing the Shimano Antares 12. Seen a couple guys use it for small glides in a few different places. If anyone has owned one, or own one currently, please let me know what you think about it. I am the most interested in line capacity. 

Hi man,

I had one a couple of years ago. I would not recommend it as a swimbait reel due to line capacity. Unless you just want to throw super light weights and are more pitching than casting, I don't think it is the right reel. 

Are you sure that the reel wasn't the 2018 Antares DC MD?

Additional thoughts:

* It's rather bulky and did not really feel that great when palming

* For the cost there are better options out there for 200-300 usd that are as smooth, have better line capacity and just are all around more robust (salt water proof)

* If you are looking for a Antares for swimbaits. Look at the antares DC MD. Quite an investment but worth it. I love mine. 

Hope that helps a bit. 

29 minutes ago, freelancer27 said:

Hi man,

I had one a couple of years ago. I would not recommend it as a swimbait reel due to line capacity. Unless you just want to throw super light weights and are more pitching than casting, I don't think it is the right reel. 

Are you sure that the reel wasn't the 2018 Antares DC MD?

Additional thoughts:

* It's rather bulky and did not really feel that great when palming

* For the cost there are better options out there for 200-300 usd that are as smooth, have better line capacity and just are all around more robust (salt water proof)

* If you are looking for a Antares for swimbaits. Look at the antares DC MD. Quite an investment but worth it. I love mine. 

Hope that helps a bit. 

Thanks for the recommendation man. I already own an Antares MD DC. It was definitely the 12 Antares that I saw. It was in a couple DRT videos I had watched. Thanks for the input. Line capacity noted. I agree with you, the MD DC is sick. Such a smooth reel and it can bomb a bait way out there. 

2 hours ago, Ciscojr19 said:

The 12’ Antares is a sick reel. Super smooth and tough. I recommend it. I was throwing a deps 250 on 20 lb abrasx and I had enough line capacity. Buy it and if you don’t like it, I’ll take it. Has to be left handed though haha

interesting. I might give it a try soon. I will let you know if I don't like it lol, and I fish left handed too 

On 11/22/2020 at 12:34 PM, peytoncominsfishing said:

Any benefits of the old Antares compared to the new?

A lot of the older Shimano reels were built quite a bit more robust than current offerings, such as the Curado E.

Edit: the Antares Monster Drive is a purpose built heavy duty reel, more so than the standard Antares. 

Edited by chevro1et