JHaul6

Im newer to swimbaits but i wanna get more into it, and im tired of throwing baits on rods that cant handle swimbaits. Ive decided i want a dobyns 806, but whats the difference between the fury and the champion? Any experience with the extra long 26” handle?

On 11/30/2020 at 9:11 AM, JHaul6 said:

Im newer to swimbaits but i wanna get more into it, and im tired of throwing baits on rods that cant handle swimbaits. Ive decided i want a dobyns 806, but whats the difference between the fury and the champion? Any experience with the extra long 26” handle?

Cant speak for the dobyns but i have a few loomis e6x’s. My 8ft heavy action swimbait rod has a long handle and absolutely helps. With setting the hook and casting. You get better swings. Both setting the hook and casting. Its more stable. Somewhat more comfortable to work the bait with. The best thing about it is i dont feel as though im gonna throw my rod twenty yards away trying to cast a heavy bait. As I said not a dobyns but same theory. Great rods though! If you wanna dish out 270ish dollars...its not necessarily a 26” inch handle but im just speaking on the advantages to added length. 

Edited by Kickinbass1011

Dobyns Champion 806 is better in every way except price. The Champion is lighter, and more balanced than the Fury, but the most noticeable difference for me would be the sensitivity. Really helps with the soft baits and even the hard baits when you get bit on semi-slack line. The actions are similar, but I feel the 806 has a slightly more even bend throughout the rod, so the whole rod loads up on a fish.  

To be honest the 806 lure rating is severely over rated it’s rated at 8 ounces in reality it feels extremely over loaded around 6 ounces it’s not enough rod for a 250 but that being said anywhere from 2 to 4 ounces it’s money also too soft of a tip for most weed less baits in my experience 

As said, the champion is better in every way. It’s parabolic, keeping fish pinned better. The ACTUAL bait rating is going to be about 1.5-4.5oz. That’s what is going to be comfortable. And being parabolic, it’s going to be your hard bait rod. You can also fish some smaller top hook and line thru soft baits. But anything weedless or with a big jig hook you’re gonna want an 807. I have a LH 795 and dislike it. It gets in the way and is not needed on a smaller rod. If it was the 868 or 908 where you’re tossing 5-10oz baits, then yes, the long handle is much needed. But remember, if you have 3” more butt, then you’ve lost 3” from the tip. Why I suggest to everyone to get the champion, is because it’s a rod you’ll never have to upgrade in your life. There’s no higher level of swimbait rod, imo. And it had a lifetime warranty. 

On 12/10/2020 at 9:06 AM, rwp said:

The fury is a faster action, just slightly.

Tackle Warehouse has the 806 and 807 listed on their 25 days of Christmas sale. I think its going to be the 21st of December and its listed as 30-46% off.

I put that on my calendar - may have to snag an 806.