PB Pickerel (6lbs 2oz) on the 6" Dreamsmasher weedless shad

KeepinItReelFishing

New PB pickerel @ 6lbs 2oz and 26.5" taken on the Dream Smasher 6" weedless shad in 'holographic shad' color.

Where: Northwest, NJ

When: December 11, 2020

Water Temp: 45 degrees (as per Lowrance HDI-5)

Every year I love winter fishing more. I never thought I would have the confidence I do in the cold, but my outcomes each year cement the fact that winter fishing is a KEY time for particularly large fish. I always get at least one giant bass, I've caught a freekishly large yellow perch, and now it's given me a new PB pickerel. Some people don't like pickerel, but I think they are awesome. Just scaled down versions of their larger cousins (pike, musky). Those razor sharp teeth, torpedo body, and that camouflage....they are thoroughbred freshwater killers! I do lose a good number of soft swimbaits to them, but thankfully this giant didn't swallow it too deep and those razors it calls it's teeth were not in reach of my line.

IMG_20201211_142501.thumb.jpg.935a678a841e1d2bfa1f3dd857628c17.jpg

163054131_IMG_20201211_1424132.thumb.jpg.12375ad2ca3b381eae526b24a15549d9.jpg

IMG_20201211_143748.thumb.jpg.ede35db5ec4351a6f88619efb1100968.jpg

That’s a big slim dart. When they’re big like that there fun. A little nerve racking depending on what bait you’re throwing. 
I got a big one last year on an og wood pats. Needless to say I was stressed About loosing an irreplaceable bait. :lol:

Congrats on the PB. Pike are my favorite but pickerel are a great consolation prize. When the fishing is tough i can always rely on pickerel to bite. i love watching them come out of the weeds like a torpedo to smash a bait. It never gets old

7 hours ago, gradycodd said:

Thatsa toad, what's the state record? Must be getting close with that thing. Nice job man

Thanks Grady.  The NJ record is 9lbs 3oz.  Its always crazy when we catch a giant, regardless of species, and then reference in our head how much bigger the record is.  I can't imagine a pickerel roughly 33% bigger!  I know you put giants in the boat....can you imagine a 20lb bass??!  ha ha.....these record fish are amazing.

• 4 weeks later...