Mag stinger hook method

nathannichols14

Learned a new stinger hook rig from a buddy of mine tonight and thought i would share. I usually run 130+ lb single strand, but this time I wanted to try the braid method.

65 lb daiwa j-braid

ST36 Treble

SD Jam knot (7 turns) around the jig hook - pass braid through the treble, back around the jig hook, back through the treble and synch it down with 8-10 half fitches and on your final hitch make it a tripple.

On the jig hook knot I burned the tag down, as well as the final half hitch.

Finally, rather than jamming the hook into the bait I used a small cut paperclip to pin the treble so that all points could  remain exposed.

Hopefully this helps someone else!IMG_8882.thumb.JPG.3c19b3ad924ee84dc871fea28f25b184.JPGIMG_2488.thumb.JPG.094573171725a630933798793b223a06.JPG

@nathannichols14 This is pretty rad, and if I'm understanding it correctly it relieves you of the annoyance of having to measure the braid length perfectly to make sure the stinger sits where you want, right?

Question about the single-strand: with 130lb are you able to easily twist with your bare hands? I did the single-strand method with a Hudd using 174lb and I had to wear gloves, thing was a royal pain in my *ss tryna twist right. Made it so hard to get a smooth, straight, perfectly positioned stinger that didn't affect the swim at all. Was the 174lb overkill you think, or is 130 (or any heavy enough single-strand) just as cumbersome?

9 hours ago, 168 Rookie said:

@nathannichols14 This is pretty rad, and if I'm understanding it correctly it relieves you of the annoyance of having to measure the braid length perfectly to make sure the stinger sits where you want, right?

Question about the single-strand: with 130lb are you able to easily twist with your bare hands? I did the single-strand method with a Hudd using 174lb and I had to wear gloves, thing was a royal pain in my *ss tryna twist right. Made it so hard to get a smooth, straight, perfectly positioned stinger that didn't affect the swim at all. Was the 174lb overkill you think, or is 130 (or any heavy enough single-strand) just as cumbersome?

I have worked with 140lb and I can do it bare-handed.  I only used pliers to get the initial tight bend in the wire to start the wrap where I wanted, and did the wrap totally by hand if you leave yourself a decent tag end to work with.  If the tag end is too short, tools are required and I found that the wraps didn't look as clean.  My biggest problem was that I don't have the blunt nose cutter to cut the tag super close to the wraps when you're finished.