Best place for WOOD?

Mitchduh

Where does everyone get their bait making wood from? Any places online with good prices? Only place around town I've found so far is hobby lobby and its $6~ for a little block, dont know if thats the normal price or what.

Hope everyone is staying safe out there!

LPO has basswood blocks 

Home depot usually has a pretty good selection of pine boards, which you can glue together with titebond 3 for a thicker piece, lowes usually has some higher end flat stock maple, birch, cedars in various sizes 

depends on the type shape of wood you want. 

if youre looking for wood to turn on a lathe, search for "turning stock" online or higher end mill/lumber supply places carry it 

Post what youre looking for size/build wise would be helpful and can make some more suggestions for places for you 

Be prepared to see higher than usual prices on all wood, almost all the prices went way up last spring and haven't come down due to demand 

Looking more for Gill/Shad profiles at the moment, so going by LxWxH maybe 7x2x4ish blocks? want to practice carving! got an airbrush from my sister and am catching on pretty fast. Want to make some swimbaits now.

I have minimal tools right now to work wood with, bandsaw, sanders and such. I may need to buy the blocks from hobby lobby for the time being until I get a workspace going.

thanks for the info so far guys. Also are the other woods, pine maple birch and cedar easy to carve with?

Basswood is around $4 per board foot and poplar is around $2-3 per board foot. Try to see if there is a wood mill near you because it will be the cheapest there.  Also look through their cut offs because there it can be below a dollar a board foot or they might give it to you for free.

for the people in New Jersey the mill I go to is called Willard Brothers wood cutters the wood there is very cheap and sustainable sourced if you care about that.

Edited by Alex Burton

41 minutes ago, Alex Burton said:

Basswood is around $4 per board foot and poplar is around $2-3 per board foot. Try to see if there is a wood mill near you because it will be the cheapest there.  Also look through their cut offs because there it can be below a dollar a board foot or they might give it to you for free.

for the people in New Jersey the mill I go to is called Willard Brothers wood cutters the wood there is very cheap and sustainable sourced if you care about that.

Ill check into this now! appreciate it alex!