Low Down Custom Rod orders

mjaygrunt

I'm in the no spiral wrap group, I don't like the looks or feel of the spiral wrapped rods.

I've landed a 12lb 8oz and a 10lb 4oz on traditional straight wrapped guides, zero issues with "torque", line rubbing the blank, etc etc with those two DD bass fights. 

Just my .02

it doesn't matter on rods over 6' anyway, but guys are stuck on it in the swimbait word.

it was designed for short heavy rods with heavy reels, usually in the rod holder or fighting chair, think 80W tuna/sword fish reels. the purpose is to help keep the rod straight and upright and allows you to retrieve without weight of the reel wanting to turn the rod over. 

there's some killer YouTube videos on it and why it works on those short stout rods and how after 6-7' feet it makes no difference. 

Its a good winter topic for sure 

some guys swear by it, some builders will only do it, some guys like how it looks/others don't, I have a friend who only fishes spiral and another that only fishes straight guides and they both catch fish just fine. 

sorry for the thread jack 

If I could of had a baby in the amount of time it takes to build a rod, that's way too long to wait for a rod, IMHO 

There’s a decent interview with Ben from LDC on Swimbait Chronicles YouTube channel. He explains his thoughts on spiral wraps and makes some decent points. It boils down a lot (based on memory) to the fact that spiral wrapping can reduce the # of guides required and hence improve balance and sensitivity of the rod since there’s less stuff hanging off the end of the blank. Makes decent enough sense to me. 

That being said, I make all my own rods and I’ve never been tempted to try spiral wrapping. I’m stubborn like that and I’ve never felt like any of my builds were insufficient enough to where I wanted to give it a go. Some day I’m sure I’ll try it. 

I had a similar experience with LDC. Ended up taking much longer than I was told and I got a refund. As far as communication with them its best to email. Thats how I got the fastest responses. Now he did send me guides for my rod after i broke one ( my fault). Lost that one and he sent another for no charge and without hesitation. 

LDCs are still some of my favortie rods even with the "lack of communication" at times. I just like the way the blanks feel. I will say my days of ordering custom rods is more than likely behind me. From my experience its best to just stick with production. White labels are badass rods and still one of the best production rods ive had in my hand. 

Since your post was strictly asking about LDC I wont go into my experience with other companies. 

I had a similar experience with LDC. Great rods but took waaaaaaay longer than quoted and I didn’t have them for the specific trip I bought them for.  Ben would always email back but in then for me it’s just not worth it for custom rods at this point. Maybe when my kid is older.

To the OP, sorry that you seem to be having a much different experience than myself, I've nothing but good things to say about Ben/LDC.  I've had a couple of his customs that i bought secondhand, beautiful rods, but they were a little faster action than i wanted.  I had an older production rod which was a great soft bait rod.  on that one, i sent it back to him and he replaced all the guides because they had cracked and peeled from the years.  that whole experience was stellar, no lag in communication or anything there, the rod was better than expected when i got it back.  I'm really not a custom rod guy, i prefer off the shelf.  the white labels are the best "production" rod out there in my opinion.  they are ridiculously versatile, the heavy being an awesome all around stick.  i've got 4 of the white labels and another one should be here any day now!   i'm pretty certain that all of our communication has taken place either via email or facebook messenger, he's always been responsive and great to deal with from my perspective.

7 hours ago, Prodigy_Lee said:

You guys should hit up Nef Customs on IG or thru his site. He does great work and has awesome communication. He will take the time to figure out the perfect rod for you.  

I agree with this man right here...turn around time is nice, excellent communications as well. Picked up 3 from him and am very happy with them.

IMG_20201212_105803_298.jpg

3 hours ago, SouthenSwimbait said:

I had a similar experience with LDC. Ended up taking much longer than I was told and I got a refund. As far as communication with them its best to email. Thats how I got the fastest responses. Now he did send me guides for my rod after i broke one ( my fault). Lost that one and he sent another for no charge and without hesitation. 

LDCs are still some of my favortie rods even with the "lack of communication" at times. I just like the way the blanks feel. I will say my days of ordering custom rods is more than likely behind me. From my experience its best to just stick with production. White labels are badass rods and still one of the best production rods ive had in my hand. 

Since your post was strictly asking about LDC I wont go into my experience with other companies. 

I appreciate the input. I was thinking of just going with a production rod as well. I am very particular on my rod specks and I have been waiting a year for this particular rod, I opted to wait. I have waited this long. Moving forward, I  would like some better communication regarding the progress and eta . 

4 hours ago, buzzed bait said:

To the OP, sorry that you seem to be having a much different experience than myself, I've nothing but good things to say about Ben/LDC.  I've had a couple of his customs that i bought secondhand, beautiful rods, but they were a little faster action than i wanted.  I had an older production rod which was a great soft bait rod.  on that one, i sent it back to him and he replaced all the guides because they had cracked and peeled from the years.  that whole experience was stellar, no lag in communication or anything there, the rod was better than expected when i got it back.  I'm really not a custom rod guy, i prefer off the shelf.  the white labels are the best "production" rod out there in my opinion.  they are ridiculously versatile, the heavy being an awesome all around stick.  i've got 4 of the white labels and another one should be here any day now!   i'm pretty certain that all of our communication has taken place either via email or facebook messenger, he's always been responsive and great to deal with from my perspective.

Same for me. Nothing but great experiences with LDC, both in quality and customer service. I have experienced longer than quoted wait times but I also made sure to keep in communication about the progress. The rods are unmatched and for that reason, LDC’s are the only rods on my deck.