MS Slammer sizes

Bsampson

I am just getting started in the large swimbait world. One of the common starter baits I have seen on here is the MS Slammer. I am looking to buy one, but I am having difficult choosing between the 7 and 9” model. I plan on using this in spot, largemouth, and possibly some smallmouth waters in CA. Any advise on a good size to start with?

You’re going to get varying opinions but I started with the 7” to gain confidence in “ bigger “ baits.  So obviously I’d say go with 7” but some of my decision was based on what rod I had available to throw swimbaits.  

‘’The 7” weights about 1.9 ounces and the 9” comes in about 3 ounces. 

Trust me you just don’t wind up with just 1 slammer and swimbaits tend to multiply- I started with 2 baits and in 2 months I’m up to 60. 

1 hour ago, Jim137a said:

You’re going to get varying opinions but I started with the 7” to gain confidence in “ bigger “ baits.  So obviously I’d say go with 7” but some of my decision was based on what rod I had available to throw swimbaits.  

‘’The 7” weights about 1.9 ounces and the 9” comes in about 3 ounces. 

Trust me you just don’t wind up with just 1 slammer and swimbaits tend to multiply- I started with 2 baits and in 2 months I’m up to 60. 

Thanks for the information!