316 Gill Glide In Stock

Austin69

4 hours ago, Bass_blaster said:

He did have some commentary about his prices on IG and one thing that came up was he said Mattlures aren’t made in the US. I went back to IG to find the statement but now all of his stuff is taken down except one post. Perhaps the discussion got out of hand. That being said, where are Mattlures made?

Pretty sure @KeepinItReelFishing has some level of personal communication with mattlures, so maybe he’d know whether they’re outsourced or not. 

1 hour ago, B_larkin3 said:

Pretty sure @KeepinItReelFishing has some level of personal communication with mattlures, so maybe he’d know whether they’re outsourced or not. 

I think I saw keepin it reel was the guy Mickey was talking to when Mickey said what he said. I’ve heard those rumors about Matt lures for a while now. I just don’t pay attention to it because it has nothing to do with me.

49 minutes ago, mjw2121 said:

I think I saw keepin it reel was the guy Mickey was talking to when Mickey said what he said. I’ve heard those rumors about Matt lures for a while now. I just don’t pay attention to it because it has nothing to do with me.

Interesting, I really have no idea about what happened but I’ve watched keepins videos on YouTube and he talked about his relationship with mattlures so I figured he’d know. 

3 hours ago, B_larkin3 said:

Interesting, I really have no idea about what happened but I’ve watched keepins videos on YouTube and he talked about his relationship with mattlures so I figured he’d know. 

Hey.

Yeah, I posted in Mickey's IG story on that gill release.  I was basically saying how I love his work, but I have seen his hard bait prices increase at a % rate faster than his peers...or "older" swimbait companies such as Black Dog, Mattlures, Triple Trout, Huddleston, MS Slammer, and JSJ.  He mentioned that Black Dog is Chinese made as well as Mattlures.  And, like you guys are saying I had never heard anyone mention Matt's stuff being imported.  We have all seen pictures of his blanks, we all know he paints them, and he talks about dialing in sink rates. Most significantly he speaks directly about reformulating his resin in the creation of the Strong gill.  And in this new "Closer" shad that is about to come out, its resin/clean coat is purposefully "soft" as Matt speaks of designing the lure to move quietly in the water with no distinct click or clack of a traditional resin.  The fact that all that is done overseas (China) seems highly suspect to me.  I was skeptical about the assertion Mickey made, but I respectfully acknowledged the fact that I certainly don't know those bait makers like he might, especially from his years in California, trade shows, etc.

I really don't know Matt at all.  I had made a video a while back on the Ultimate Gill, and it was seen well and I suspect he sold more of them as a result.  He has since sent me a few lures for free in advance of their public release for field testing/feedback and fish catch pictures.  We exchange the occasional IM, but thats about it.  Because of serious curiosity though I did IM him just the other day regarding the manufacture/origin of his hard baits.  

I really was just trying to plant the seed in Mickey's head that I think there are a number of us working class people who used to be able to justify paying for his lures, like Wake Jr's when they were around $150, but this new move to $250 and up (many in the $300-$400 range) for seemingly all his hard baits is hard for many of us to accept.  By all means its his business and maybe he wants his business model to be to curtail strictly to the collector/higher end customer.  I get it.  A Rolex doesn't keep better time than a good Seiko, but any serious Rolex buyer DOESN'T want Rolex's to have mainstream pricing....a large part of the appeal is the exclusivity.  Whatever Mickey is doing is obviously working for him.

In Mickey's defense, he rightly stated that his soft baits are very competitively priced, especially now as some soft bait makers of un-rigged baits are exploring premium pricing within that category.  But, in my defense the comment I made in his IG story was only directed toward his hard baits as that is the place where I have seen the massive pricing increase.

-Carl 

Edited by KeepinItReelFishing

And just an FYI....Matt did get back to me regarding where his baits are made.  As per the man himself, all have been and continue to be made here except for three, and those three were from a decade ago.  The Jitterfish, Matt's Minnow, and some "little shad bait".

I love my wake Jrs and fish the crap out of them, i doubt i will drop $150 for one though even, there are plenty of good wake baits out there for far less money.  He has a business model that works for him, good for him, it is just too bad the baits wont ever be available to everyone.  $350 is insane for the gill glide, looks killer but again lots of baits out there that fit into that category.  At the end of the day it is 90% knowing where and how to fish each bait and 10% the actual bait.  Mikey makes some awesome baits for sure, the prices have gotten out of control though.  as long as guys are willing to pay it though the prices won't come down. 

3 hours ago, KeepinItReelFishing said:

And just an FYI....Matt did get back to me regarding where his baits are made.  As per the man himself, all have been and continue to be made here except for three, and those three were from a decade ago.  The Jitterfish, Matt's Minnow, and some "little shad bait".

I wonder if that’s why 316’s Instagram is empty now? Unless clearing it out is something he does often. 

4 hours ago, Bass_blaster said:

I wonder if that’s why 316’s Instagram is empty now? Unless clearing it out is something he does often. 

He just restarted his Instagram for a new year. That was all he said. He cleared it way before the mattlures thing came up.