Little river, big pike

CG_Fishes

Went out looking for another pike today, found a frozen river instead. At least I got to see how the feathers look in the water, pretty sweet if you ask me. I cannot express how excited I am for warmer weather, hopefully soon...

20210125_144052.jpg

12 minutes ago, willlliw said:

I still have one musky spot that hasn't frozen over but with it finally being cold i guess i should get out there before too long.

Take advantage of open water! Esox will eat readily in the super cold water, at least pike and pickerel will. I have heard that muskie are a bit slower in the winter so I assume tigers would be the same, but it's worth a shot. Go slow roll a softbait around em

40 minutes ago, CG_Fishes said:

Take advantage of open water! Esox will eat readily in the super cold water, at least pike and pickerel will. I have heard that muskie are a bit slower in the winter so I assume tigers would be the same, but it's worth a shot. Go slow roll a softbait around em

Ive gotta throw something bigger than bfs stuff, its been too long

Just now, willlliw said:

Ive gotta throw something bigger than bfs stuff, its been too long

Yeah man, put a big bait in your hand and go catch em. I would recommend something 7-9" that can be fished slow. Something like a magdraft/magslowl or hudd/real prey

54 minutes ago, Niki814 said:

Nice slime dart.  I would go with tooth proof wire. A splitring to swivel to splitring would work good to.

Thanks, I ended up using 120lb tooth proof. We will see how that holds up once I can fish again

@CG_Fishes I’m going to give the Creek Chub Pikies a shot - had a few laying around in my Striper tackle.  They’re inexpensive, can dive fairly deep ( 7’ - 8’ ) can be waked by bending the metal lip down - so it gives me a few options covering the water column.  

They’re on $7 so if a pike takes it I’m not going to flip out.  

I’ll add some split rings, better hooks and dress the tail hook. 

FF to about 3 minutes 

338DE19B-AC9C-45D4-BCC9-326CDA89606B.jpeg

EA45EB1C-B767-4DBB-8DDD-1A7EBB806235.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Jim137a said:

@CG_Fishes I’m going to give the Creek Chub Pikies a shot - had a few laying around in my Striper tackle.  They’re inexpensive, can dive fairly deep ( 7’ - 8’ ) can be waked by bending the metal lip down - so it gives me a few options covering the water column.  

They’re on $7 so if a pike takes it I’m not going to flip out.  

I’ll add some split rings, better hooks and dress the tail hook. 

FF to about 3 minutes 

Keep me updated, I love the idea, especially with how cheap it is!

13 minutes ago, Jim137a said:

@CG_Fishes there it is all ready to roll…………so sad all my bass and pike water are frozen.  

Owner ST36, some split rings, hair n feathers.

B4A3277F-8D94-450C-A7EE-AED08B0772AF.jpeg

That looks great, definitely worth a try once the ice leaves. Hopefully soon