Metanium for small glides?

MaseMan44

How heavy of a bait do you guys think a Metanium MGL 150 B is throwing without wearing out the gears? I just recently got a rod that can throw baits up to 3 oz (because I throw glidebaits in the 1-3 oz range) and was wondering if a Metanium could handle it with the brass gears. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2021 at 10:06 AM, MaseMan44 said:

How heavy of a bait do you guys think a Metanium MGL 150 B is throwing without wearing out the gears? I just recently got a rod that can throw baits up to 3 oz (because I throw glidebaits in the 1-3 oz range) and was wondering if a Metanium could handle it with the brass gears. Thanks.

Id say keep it under 2-3 oz and you should be just fine. Main concern is line capacity. I personally feel anything over 17lb Fluoro 150-200 sized reels is a bit much.. 

Lure weight (on the high end) doesn't really bother a reel, unless you engage the handle while casting or something. That could grenade any reel though.

You will run into a few things though, like line capacity (as mentioned), as well as:

Gear ratio. Small reels have small spools, so the gear ratios need to be higher, so high resistance baits become a chore to retrieve. This can also increase wear on the reel.

On the other end, even an 8:1 150 sized reel won't have a high IPT if that's what you are looking for.

Limited drag. Depending on what you are fishing for, 8-12 lbs of drag might not be enough.

Excess cost. A lot of the high dollar reels are expensive because they are light weight and better at casting lighter lures. Neither are a benefit for heavy lures.

I think line capacity is the biggest red flag, you need heavy enough line for the lure's weight. Using a 150 sized reel with 80lb braid and you probably will only have 50 yards on the spool.

Save yourself some money and go with a bantam the only difference is added weight which is in the solid aluminum frame which will help with torque for small swimbaits the bantam is Leaps and bounds above the metanium just for that reason it’s a solid body and you don’t need a magnesium frame with a longer heavier swimbait rod it’s just unnecessary