Braid vs mono vs fluoro

Take My Money

Not sure if this was ever covered but I fish mainly SE and NE Pennsylvania waters and use braided line on all my reels. Does different types of line really effect  the action of a bait. The waters I fish have a lot of pickerel and don’t wanna see a $200 lure swim away. Any help would be appreciated 

don't think it really affects the action on most baits although there are outliers like a walking style bait where most guys will agree Briad is better. It changes casting distance though. I feel like I can get more distance out of a flouro or mono over braid but only really a yard or 2

I have fished swimbaits on heavily populated pickerel waters for many many years and never lost a hard swimbait to one. Hudds on the other hand....ive lost more than most people have ever owned hahaha. My cousin and I got bit off by 3 one day prefishing for a T. Lots of days of losing 2-3 in the rocks. It happens. Don’t let the possibility of losing a bait dictate how and what you fish. Only let the possibility of catching a monster bass dictate how and what you fish

14 minutes ago, willlliw said:

I use braid so I can fit enough line on my 150 sized reel, paired with a 20 foot or so floro leader, I find I have good sensitivity but im not a fan of the knot going through my guides every time I cast

what knot do you use, I started using the FG this winter and it's smoothhhhhh, way better than the double uni I used to use

I use braid to leader 90% of the time I'm fishing, but the most common mistake I see people making with braid is looking at the line rating on their rod and thinking "10-20 lb line? best go with 20 lb braid then", casting off their baits and promptly hitting up every swimbait group and forum to tell the whole world "braid is no good, I just casted off a hundred-dollar bait"! I always use 50-100 lb braid, anything lighter is backlash city. Also be sure to use a shock leader. Preferably line that's actually sold to be used as shock leader, otherwise any backlash will break something expensive.

table.jpg

Edited by Jon P
dyslexia

I think the line can alter the baits swim a tad bit, especially depending on the type of bait. Here what I personally ise

braid - use it for most top water baits. Wakes, walk-the-dog, and the 3:16 Minnow. Braided line gives me way better hook-up ratio since it doesn’t stretch. Let’s the fish kind of hook themselves.

copoly - use it for most sub-surface and cranking applications. Tends to do a bit better cranking through brush than floor does (doesn’t get knocked up as bad), and for sub-surface I prefer a little stretch so I don’t pull the bait off the fish when they soft strike it 

flouro - use it for anything I wanna grind the bottom with, like soft baits (and magnum spoons). The low stretch let’s me feel when it gets hit, and the sinking of the line is critical to keep the bait down low longer as I retrieve 

22 hours ago, Jon P said:

I use braid to leader 90% of the time I'm fishing, but the most common mistake I see people making with braid is looking at the line rating on their rod and thinking "10-20 lb line? best go with 20 lb braid then", casting off their baits and promptly hitting up every swimbait group and forum to tell the whole world "braid is no good, I just casted off a hundred-dollar bait"! I always use 50-100 lb braid, anything lighter is backlash city. Also be sure to use a shock leader. Preferably line that's actually sold to be used as shock leader, otherwise any backlash will break something expensive.

How long of a leader are you using? Thinking specifically for bottom soft baits. 

Edited by Jordan B

57 minutes ago, Jordan B said:

How long of a leader are you using? Thinking specifically for bottom soft baits. 

for softbaits on the bottom I use 25 lb SunLine Structure FC. Better sensitivity than you'd get from braid to shock leader. The leader is usually about 4-6 foot long.

50lb sufix 832 is on all of my reels. It's really 65lb when you compare it by strength and diameter.

My wife uses 80lb stealth. She says it's easier to pick backlashes out of, and she's never had a lure cast off with it.

I always use a leader, usually 40lb mono. Around 2 feet. If I'm fishing clear water, that changes drastically.