Decoy Egg Snap Fail

MattGbaz

I got some decoy Ex-Snaps this spring since I couldn't find the eggs in stock and they are the spice! Even accidentally casting 8 oz. baits with the snap open they don't bend out. Several times while pike fishing I've had pike do a death roll at the bank and open the egg snaps when the leader wire snarls in the snap. the Ex-Snaps however have yet to fail me! Only other snap that I can think of that can compete with the Ex are the Tactical Anglers snaps.

1 hour ago, Morgan Y said:

Is there an easy way to put those on to a retail made bait like a 250? If not do you think I could cut it and then weld it back together?

Needs to have a screw that can be opened.   I don't take apart factory baits, maybe somebody else with more experience can chime in.

9 hours ago, Morgan Y said:

darn

I mean DRT uses a split ring to welded ring on the k9 don’t know about TK but yeah I’ve also posted asking guys about what to tie to if I want to target pike I mean it’s using way thicker and heavier line and more pressure is asserted to the hardwear and one of the guys don’t remember his name but he said he fishes a split ring to single ring I’m pretty sure he said a owner split ring but I might be wrong or he said a decoy, but one thing is for sure is that he uses a 400 lbs decoy GP ring and yeah I’m testing out using a split ring right now not much of a difference to a snap but I can always tell you if there is a problem and I’m using a decoy EX SPLIT RING I think 120 lbs and I think size 5+ or 6+ they are rock solid right now. Also decoy sells a egg split ring might try those out later but I’ll see. 

I never liked the decoys cuz they don't have much meat to em and that scares me. On my Hudds I use these yozuri non opening snaps and they have similar diameter to the decoys. They scare me too but they are low profile and I like that. I also bend the edge so it can never be removed without breaking or cutting it....I second and third what has been said about marrying snap to the bait.  I have never taken my slammer snaps off for that reason. ......Sometimes I wonder if the line tie can cause a problem. There is a such a huge variety of line ties and all of that rubbing can't be great. Stuff also gets in there during casts and gets a filing.  I would check the line tie on the bait for any peculiarity.......also big fish are super smart and can rub against structure.  Stripers remove jigs from their mouths. Maybe the big one had a surface to rub the bait against when hooked. 

Edited by bigpoppabass

Didn't know you were using braid....anything beyond fiberglass blend rod with braid is a no no imo.... interesting topic cuz there is disagreement over necessity of snaps. Bill siemental says snaps are a must. Other big fish hunters in the salt for example always say tie direct. 

5 hours ago, bigpoppabass said:

I never liked the decoys cuz they don't have much meat to em and that scares me. On my Hudds I use these yozuri non opening snaps and they have similar diameter to the decoys. They scare me too but they are low profile and I like that. I also bend the edge so it can never be removed without breaking or cutting it....I second and third what has been said about marrying snap to the bait.  I have never taken my slammer snaps off for that reason. ......Sometimes I wonder if the line tie can cause a problem. There is a such a huge variety of line ties and all of that rubbing can't be great. Stuff also gets in there during casts and gets a filing.  I would check the line tie on the bait for any peculiarity.......also big fish are super smart and can rub against structure.  Stripers remove jigs from their mouths. Maybe the big one had a surface to rub the bait against when hooked. 

Interesting to hear that you fish hudds with a snap. I've always heard that you need to die direct to feel the bait. Do you think it gives better action?

4 hours ago, bigpoppabass said:

Didn't know you were using braid....anything beyond fiberglass blend rod with braid is a no no imo.... interesting topic cuz there is disagreement over necessity of snaps. Bill siemental says snaps are a must. Other big fish hunters in the salt for example always say tie direct. 

Personally I love braid and use it on all of my combos which are all moderate to really high end graphite rods. I don't really like straight fluoro or mono anymore because it doesn't feel as connected as braid. I also love the feeling of a solid hookset with braid, It makes me feel alive. I have a hunch that above all else your line is more important for action than any snap will ever be, although because throwing a multiple oz bait on 6 lb test or something small in diameter is basically impossible due to tensile strength I think that snaps/split rings offer the next best option (just a theory). I'd make the argument that if someone could do a side by side of some kind of glide bait with a snap/split ring and 25 lb line and 6 lb test tied direct that the 6lb would have better action. To further that if you could do a snap/split ring with 6 lb or some kind of small diameter test that the bait would basically become a living fish in terms of action.

13 hours ago, Morgan Y said:

Interesting to hear that you fish hudds with a snap. I've always heard that you need to die direct to feel the bait. Do you think it gives better action?

Yes I do especially when using rof 12 as a jig, which is about 75% of time spent throwing it. That hudd sits at the bottom with tail quivering and I feel the snap gives it extra slack to do that....but I don't think Mikey from 316  says you need one in his mission fish vid, which I consider the authority on throwing big plastic. If you are pointing the rod at the bait as he advises, the bait is running most naturally with alot of slack line in it.

13 hours ago, Morgan Y said:

Personally I love braid and use it on all of my combos which are all moderate to really high end graphite rods. I don't really like straight fluoro or mono anymore because it doesn't feel as connected as braid. I also love the feeling of a solid hookset with braid, It makes me feel alive. I have a hunch that above all else your line is more important for action than any snap will ever be, although because throwing a multiple oz bait on 6 lb test or something small in diameter is basically impossible due to tensile strength I think that snaps/split rings offer the next best option (just a theory). I'd make the argument that if someone could do a side by side of some kind of glide bait with a snap/split ring and 25 lb line and 6 lb test tied direct that the 6lb would have better action. To further that if you could do a snap/split ring with 6 lb or some kind of small diameter test that the bait would basically become a living fish in terms of action.

Yeah I also consider it one of the top five inventions in fishing during my lifetime. But I have broken several rods with it on hooksetts. Somehow my fingers have gotten hit each time it happened and it hurt. 

I tease peeps here about getting ugly sticks. They frown haha. But I have a gripe that the specialty makers don't reduce their prices for em. I understand fiberglass is cheap and am surprised it hasn't become the primary rod material. It is also much lighter than ever and you can hardly tell the difference in weight..

Edited by bigpoppabass

7 hours ago, bigpoppabass said:

Yes I do especially when using rof 12 as a jig, which is about 75% of time spent throwing it. That hudd sits at the bottom with tail quivering and I feel the snap gives it extra slack to do that....but I don't think Mikey from 316  says you need one in his mission fish vid, which I consider the authority on throwing big plastic. If you are pointing the rod at the bait as he advises, the bait is running most naturally with alot of slack line in it.

Interesting

For the guys who think that a split ring at the line tie is unsafe consider this:  99% of our hard swimbaits have split rings connecting the hooks to the bait.  Yet somehow those split rings are to be trusted but not one at the line tie.  This make zero sense to me.