Bait drops

SacPig916

12 hours ago, SacPig916 said:

I see it every time.. people complaining about getting cart jacked.  Let's get some facts straight. 

You have every right to be mad, anybody who drops bait's is being disrespectful to their audience.  Nobody even knows if they are actually dropping or how many baits they are willing to sell.  You have no idea if they just have aliases on the many forums and just sell them for a jacked up price.  It really show's how much they actually care about their customers, which seems to be not at all, it's all about that $$.  At least with a wait list, you know you are going to get one for the actual price instead of some marked up price because they are so "rare", which is also designed for purposes of $.

I see a lot of cleaver marketing tactics when I look into bait drops, and little care for their loyal customers who want a bait.  It may be time to take a second look at this behavior and decide if you want to support them or not because they obviously don't care about you.  I'm open to hearing peoples opinions and willing to change my mind, but I refuse to do bait drops when the time comes to release.

So how are you planning on dropping your baits? 
wait list? 
number of baits available being posted? 
baits not going to friends first? 

every bait maker has an idea of what works best for them and their baits. 

there’s a saltwater plug builder that has one of the best ways I’ve seen and stops the flippers. He sends an email a few days before with the list of what’s available. You send an email at xx time on whatever day. Top 3 picks and your shipping/payment info. He goes thru in order of emails. This way he can see who’s buying baits and doesn’t sell to known flippers (which is super frowned upon and not allowed in plug world) 

I like the way Ryan legends of the abyss is doing his drops for his gizzard wizards, he post the time of post, gives out the word for the email, and goes thru and contacts in order. 

At the end of the day it’s up to the bait maker on how they want to drop baits. 

1 minute ago, chefchris said:

wait list? 

there’s a saltwater plug builder that has one of the best ways I’ve seen and stops the flippers. He sends an email a few days before with the list of what’s available. You send an email at xx time on whatever day. Top 3 picks and your shipping/payment info. He goes thru in order of emails. This way he can see who’s buying baits and doesn’t sell to known flippers (which is super frowned upon and not allowed in plug world) 

I like the way Ryan legends of the abyss is doing his drops for his gizzard wizards, he post the time of post, gives out the word for the email, and goes thru and contacts in order. 

If a friend wants a bait, they need to wait in line.  Nobody will be treated special to keep things fair.  South park highlights the practice perfectly.  

Just going to do a wait list and contact, if demand changes then I will also.  Like somebody pointed out, making 100 baits then contacting might not be ideal in the start, but if there is a demand, then making 20, then contacting for orders will happen.  I don't ever try to lock myself in, flexibility is needed.

1 hour ago, Bass_blaster said:

on the topic of hype, aren’t we (the swimbait community) to blame for that? Not the makers themselves? For instance, TrapBass did a “drop” yesterday (I.e. loaded baits on their site). They’re all still available as if it’s a normal swimbait store with stuff in stock. Same thing that any other bait makers do in terms of business practice, they just don’t have the hype so people can get them. 

I get that the drops can be frustrating or whatever, but they aren’t disrespectful to customers in my opinion. Speaking of, I got a UFO Koi wake on that drop and I’m picking it up in person since I live in SD where they’re made. He’s a cool ass dude, very responsive, and I’m happy to support a local business. 

Very good to hear.  Also, yes, the swimbait community furthers it by rewarding the people doing it, but it takes 2 to tango.

43 minutes ago, G3bassin said:

I don’t mind bait drops. I don’t participate often but that’s because I usually forget haha. The thing I don’t like is it seems like most of the baits end up in the hands of flippers. You can always tell when a drop has been shipped because the baits go up immediately for double price and it’s always the same excuses not my style or bigger/smaller than I thought. If that’s the case then sell it for what you paid plus what it would cost to ship. I know it’s part of it nowadays but I miss the days where everyone wanted to help each other out. 

As I stated earlier, bait drops leave room for abuse of the system.  Who even knows who the flippers are or if they dropped their entire stock or just half to resell for the purpose of banking on flipping them.  People have accepted its part of it, but nobody cares to acknowledge that it isn't a fair practice. 

1 hour ago, thedonnguyen said:

i'd rather miss a bait drop than sit through another 2-yr wait list

What about missing a drop for 2 years? I've seen people saying this which is why I ask.

13 minutes ago, SacPig916 said:

What about missing a drop for 2 years? I've seen people saying this which is why I ask.

I think hes referring to the illude tripdub/rad rat/gnar gerbi wait list. I think I've been on it for about a year now.

1 minute ago, 207klasher said:

I think hes referring to the illude tripdub/rad rat/gnar gerbi wait list. I think I've been on it for about a year now.

rgr, i havent been fishing long enough to know all fine details.  I've just caught the tail end of this

1 hour ago, chefchris said:

wait list? 

His procedure definitely works - been getting is plugs for years and he definitely discourages / prevents flipping..... and I won’t mention his name cause u didn’t. 

He definitely prefers to but his plugs in the hands of ppl that are going to actually fish them. 

Edited by Jim137a

As a bait buyer all that these drops do to me is make me resent the bait maker when I miss out. I’ll try once on a company’s drop and if I miss out I’ll never visit their site again. Might sound like I’m bit#hing but I can always find a bait that’s similar 

I think it important for us to stop bending over backwards for these bait makers. I don't necessarily agree with the bait drop process being a sign of poor customer appreciation but I will say this there is CLEARLY a problem with the way 90% of bait makers go about their business. As an example I just recently received my taxi trout from fish everything.  When I purchased the bait I was told it would arrive December 20th, it got here February 4th....  That's almost a month and a half after I was told I would receive it. Now am I but hurt over the month extension, no, but the fact that we never received updates is completely inexcusable for a bait that's in the triple digits. Hell he never even responded to my DMs. This is not to call out fish everything by any means and I have had similar issues with most bait makers. It is soooo easy to get on your social media (the same one you post prototypes that will never come to market everyday) and put up a video explaining the delay. This alone is the driving factor behind why I support toxic baits I feel like I always know what is going on with his process and I can get my hands on a new bait if I happen to lose my daily driver.  To get back to the original post, I don't think there's anything wrong with calling these people out for lack of transparency when it is so easy to do in todays age.  

I find this almost HILARIOUS!!! I have been in this game for decades and when it started ( by todays standards ) everyone would not even buy a bait made back then!! but we caught massive fish on those big stupid looking baits with tackle that was not designed for bass fishing. But somehow we did it

1. Grow up.

2. Understand more than just your point of view.

3. Patience.

4. Understanding.

5. Learn how to fish the baits you have, TO PROPERLY TO CATCH FISH!

MY .02

12 minutes ago, azsouth said:

OH sorry I didn't grow up in a time when everyone gets a Trophy for just participating, Didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

Me either. That’s my point. I’m blue collar and not good with computers. Typing fast shouldn’t be the deciding factor in getting a bait. Enjoy the rest of the weekend 

3 hours ago, azsouth said:

I find this almost HILARIOUS!!! I have been in this game for decades and when it started ( by todays standards ) everyone would not even buy a bait made back then!! but we caught massive fish on those big stupid looking baits with tackle that was not designed for bass fishing. But somehow we did it

1. Grow up.

2. Understand more than just your point of view.

3. Patience.

4. Understanding.

5. Learn how to fish the baits you have, TO PROPERLY TO CATCH FISH!

MY .02

Absolutely nothing you said makes a lick of sense.  These responses are flat out terrible.  It sounds like you read the title and just replied.  I'm not even going to number and reply, not worth it.