Bait drops

SacPig916

1 hour ago, SacPig916 said:

Absolutely nothing you said makes a lick of sense.  These responses are flat out terrible.  It sounds like you read the title and just replied.  I'm not even going to number and reply, not worth it.

So here it goes, you can buy any bait you want today or tomorrow! it is just how much you want to spend, hence BLACK MARKET. You have access to just about any bait made in the world through the internet and yet you complain about bait drops from bait makers that have actually made their own brand from nothing and hard work. I personally respect the choice of each bait maker to do what he/she feels is the best way for them to do their business in their own way.

The way you come off is they need to do it your way or something you think is better.

When you make it/fail at building baits remember that you can't make everyone happy.

I did read every post before commenting on this and I am guessing one of two things ( or both )

1. You are 30 or less years old 

2. You are fairly new to the swimbait game.

Either way quit whining and show some respect for your brotherhood of swimbait builders and what they have done for this style of fishing.

12 minutes ago, azsouth said:

So here it goes, you can buy any bait you want today or tomorrow! it is just how much you want to spend, hence BLACK MARKET. You have access to just about any bait made in the world through the internet and yet you complain about bait drops from bait makers that have actually made their own brand from nothing and hard work. I personally respect the choice of each bait maker to do what he/she feels is the best way for them to do their business in their own way.

The way you come off is they need to do it your way or something you think is better.

When you make it/fail at building baits remember that you can't make everyone happy.

I did read every post before commenting on this and I am guessing one of two things ( or both )

Either way quit whining and show some respect for your brotherhood of swimbait builders and what they have done for this style of fishing.

I am not under 30, but yes you went back and read after I posted.  You seem to think there is a lack of understanding on my behalf, which there isn't.  I fully understand whats going on.  I don't have to show respect for anybody, especially people who don't even build their own baits.  People like SlyGuy gets full respect.  There is no whining, as I don't take part in this mess.  I don't care how people want to spend their money, I don't care if bait people even do the drops.  This entire thing was the practice of bait drops, which a lot of people seemed to miss and start throwing ad hominems around instead of putting fourth an actual argument.  There are some good points people made, in which I stated I understand.  You can respect anybody you want and I really don't care if you respect me at all, I will be doing my own thing regardless of what somebody thinks they know about me.  Who ever started this style of fishing deserves respect, as we're all just piggy backing off their work.  By your definition you should show some respect to myself, but that is a silly demand just like your request.

That does not mean it's not disrespectful, allows room for abuse all while targeting people which they know will pay anything to have the next new thing.  If you only knew the amount of people who I have messaged and have messaged me to talk with me in private about this practice. 

Edited by SacPig916

5 minutes ago, azsouth said:

Yeah we are excited that the 5 baits that were available got scooped up. I’m sure the bait maker will be happy to see 4 of them stored in the original boxes never to have touched water.

10 minutes ago, Take My Money said:

Yeah we are excited that the 5 baits that were available got scooped up. I’m sure the bait maker will be happy to see 4 of them stored in the original boxes never to have touched water.

I actually agree with this despite the snarkyness.  They don't care if people fish them, it's the equivalent to a trading card. 

6 minutes ago, SacPig916 said:

If you only knew the amount of people who I have messaged and have messaged me to talk with me in private about this practice. 

Why not share?  Why be so secretive?  Be the catalyst for the change you think is necessary.  Hell, let's get the government involved in regulating swimbait sales!!  Swimbaits for all!!!!

This entire thread is pointless.  Buy the bait or don't.  Pretty simple concept really.

2 minutes ago, swimbaitrookie said:

Why not share?  Why be so secretive?  Be the catalyst for the change you think is necessary.  Hell, let's get the government involved in regulating swimbait sales!!  Swimbaits for all!!!!

This entire thread is pointless.  Buy the bait or don't.  Pretty simple concept really.

It's a private message for a reason.  The catalyst is this thread, pointing out the practice is necessary.  Yes, lets hand out stimulus baits!!!  Get the economy back

I agree "Not Allowed" em , I ain’t about being nice because I might get me a bait .it doesn’t matter how long you fished for, it doesn’t matter how long you been around, I understand it’s a business don’t treat the people that feed you like they ain’t ish because you want to minimize the amount of baits out there to maximize your profit .

There’s hard working guys out there putting 60+ hours on the clock , week after week, waiting for a weekend to go fish and they can’t even get their hands on baits they like because you pull some ish like bad news bass did with illude !! Hahahaha "Not Allowed" em !

I've been trying not to post on here since this isn't really my place to talk about it. The way I see it is that there is room for improvement in bait drops and the way baits are sold/traded in general. Each bait maker can do whatever the hell they want, it doesn't effect me in the long run, but there is no reason that we, as a consumer base, shouldn't push for things to be the best that they could be for us. Why settle for this method of scrambling for baits from bait drops like medieval peasants fighting for food scraps. I'm not saying that the super high end, custom baits need to be produced in higher quantities, because they don't, their rarity is what makes them special. I understand that to a lot of guys, participating in bait drops is like gambling or buying a lotto ticket, and when you win it's a high. But come on, why are we letting companies like DRT play all of us like this. There is no reason that an injection bait cannot be produced to meet demand, instead they are creating demand by shorting supply and watching people pay upwards of $300 for a bait that took them like $20 to make. I'm gonna leave it like this, the garage guys can do whatever the hell they want to do, they've built their business and that's respectable, although some may have some pretty crappy business practices, the baits speak for themselves. But there's no reason for us not to want to improve the way that things are done. Like @azsouth said, bait drops aren't how things were always done, and they're a huge improvement on past practices, but at some point it will be time to move on to the next better thing

None of this thread is making much sense anymore. Not directing this to anyone in particular, but I don't get why people feel so entitled to getting baits or receiving special attention and treatment from builders. Or if they miss a drop they take it personally like they got cheated out of something that wasn't actually theirs to begin with. A bait drop is just a restock of inventory which is typically a good thing. The fact that baits sell out isn't the builder's fault, it's ours.

1. No one should claim they know how a builder should sell baits and handle operations unless they themselves have built and tried making a living selling baits.

2. If you don't like their practices as a consumer, simply don't support them. There are plenty of builders who keep waiting lists and plenty of builders who do bait drops. There are builders who invest in customer relations and other builders who chase fame and fortune.

3. If you don't like their practices as a rival builder, then you can learn from them and handle business differently. No need to condemn their efforts if nothing that they do concerns you. Customers will gravitate to builders who make great product and whom they have had positive transactions with. They will also be willing to wait and keep trying to get a bait from said builder.

The bait markers do what is best for them when selling there baits. Some try to change it up to help with the whining people. No matter what they do there will still be whiners. Most that I have talked with try there best but they are usually a one man shop, so as most of us may know things in life come up and maybe they can't keep what they told everyone. So guess what everyone has a melt down...

I have been in this game a long time and probably have owned and fished every bait out there and know many of the makers. I must say that illude is a fair and great guy, it appears that he only made a few baits, so if 1000 guys are trying for 10 baits, there will be 990 whiny ass people.

If you didn't get a bait on a drop then get one of the other one million baits that are available.

If you dont like how bait maker sell their baits don't buy them.

There are many people that to not worry about things you cant control, just get out there and fish.

Fish......whats that mean...is't that what this site is all about or is it about baits that most of the time will never be fished.

The amout of time people spent on the internet worring about what other people are catching and what baits are dropping, they could actually be on the water learning a lot of stuff.

7 minutes ago, CG_Fishes said:

I've been trying not to post on here since this isn't really my place to talk about it. The way I see it is that there is room for improvement in bait drops and the way baits are sold/traded in general. Each bait maker can do whatever the hell they want, it doesn't effect me in the long run, but there is no reason that we, as a consumer base, shouldn't push for things to be the best that they could be for us. Why settle for this method of scrambling for baits from bait drops like medieval peasants fighting for food scraps. I'm not saying that the super high end, custom baits need to be produced in higher quantities, because they don't, their rarity is what makes them special. I understand that to a lot of guys, participating in bait drops is like gambling or buying a lotto ticket, and when you win it's a high. But come on, why are we letting companies like DRT play all of us like this. There is no reason that an injection bait cannot be produced to meet demand, instead they are creating demand by shorting supply and watching people pay upwards of $300 for a bait that took them like $20 to make. I'm gonna leave it like this, the garage guys can do whatever the hell they want to do, they've built their business and that's respectable, although some may have some pretty crappy business practices, the baits speak for themselves. But there's no reason for us not to want to improve the way that things are done. Like @azsouth said, bait drops aren't how things were always done, and they're a huge improvement on past practices, but at some point it will be time to move on to the next better thing

Truth

7 minutes ago, danthefisherman said:

None of this thread is making much sense anymore. Not directing this to anyone in particular, but I don't get why people feel so entitled to getting baits or receiving special attention and treatment from builders. Or if they miss a drop they take it personally like they got cheated out of something that wasn't actually theirs to begin with. A bait drop is just a restock of inventory which is typically a good thing. The fact that baits sell out isn't the builder's fault, it's ours.

1. No one should claim they know how a builder should sell baits and handle operations unless they themselves have built and tried making a living selling baits.

2. If you don't like their practices as a consumer, simply don't support them. There are plenty of builders who keep waiting lists and plenty of builders who do bait drops. There are builders who invest in customer relations and other builders who chase fame and fortune.

3. If you don't like their practices as a rival builder, then you can learn from them and handle business differently. No need to condemn their efforts if nothing that they do concerns you. Customers will gravitate to builders who make great product and whom they have had positive transactions with. They will also be willing to wait and keep trying to get a bait from said builder.

It was never about entitlement or special attention.  How would you feel if one of the bait makers are giving them to friends to flip for a cut of the price, or doing it themselves under aliases?  Otherwise I agree with everything else.