KGB Legend 6+ - Mid-January - 42 Degree Water

lawless_fishing

Mid-January in South Jersey.  Had some ice a few days before and then a warming trend. Water got all the way back up to 45 but I didn’t have a chance to get out until it started dipping again. When I finally got out, I was seeing temps between 41-42.9.

Watched a pickerel t-bone the Legend twice early in the morning but couldn’t hook up. Made my way to an isolated brush pile off a point. I’d caught fish off of it before and had a feeling it might be holding a fish or two. Power poled down when I got within range of the brush pile. Felt weight on my first cast to the left of the brush pile right as I passed it - I actually thought I had a stick. Ended up being a solid 3+. Snapped a couple of selfies and made some notes in my fishing log. 

My next cast was to the right of the brush pile. Stuck another one - a 2 something. Pretty sick sticking them on back-to-back casts. 

Made another 2-3 casts at the brush pile and I was working the bait about 10 feet past the it when the Legend got absolutely obliterated. If you look closely at the video, you can actually see a flash of yellow gold under the water when she gets transported by my hookset. Net job was bungled (lol) but still was able to get her in the boat. 

The super tuned Legend was a necessity - we have a lot of what we call “black death” down here in South Jersey and I needed to keep the bait up outta that. Started off with the Chad Shad and was having a hard time keeping it high enough in the water column to avoid the Black Death. Switching over to the Legend allowed me to stay out of it, by and large.

She went just under 20” and weighed in at 6.19. Awesome start to 2021. She checked a lot of boxes - PB Northern Strain, PB swimbait fish, and January PB.

416970BC-199D-4518-BDA8-A5412182FFBE.jpeg

8CF62AD2-E8E1-43E3-A13D-CF0B6F67E2FF.jpeg

B78A68D0-0743-4D9E-BE6D-43CEBE2E82F0.jpeg

8’ H Daiwa KAGE Swimbait Rod

Daiwa x SLP Works x Gancraft Tatula Mago 

20lb Big Game

The KAGE has a little more backbone than I like for treble hook baits. Switching up to mono from fluoro really improved my hookup/landing percentages.

8 minutes ago, CG_Fishes said:

Dude that's a tank Jersey fish, and in January, good work! I'm still frozen here in NY but this gives me hope

Much appreciated! We keep going back and forth - not near enough ice to ice fish, but too much to launch the boat. We’ve got rising temps this week should have some more open water. Looking forward to poking around some