Goldfish

dqb

See/hear people in FL and GA hammering giants on live goldfish. Any good soft plastic imitations out there? (Bright orange, fat, big fins, little tail swing, wobble, etc)

If not will just drop a Yunique or Fat trash fish in JJ’s magic and see what happens. TIA 

433C0922-4E7E-4CFF-95FE-84BBBC9D58A0.jpeg

yunique baits have some bright orange carp soft baits that fit that profile exactly. I know you see them using gold fish as livebait but here´s my thinking. I believe that imitating a gold fish is an absolute waste of your time. its not a natural presentation, and im pretty sure the big bass only see live gold fish with hooks in their backs so they associate them with being caught. The only reason they are catching them on gold fish is because they are alive and a bright orange little fish thrashing around dying pretty is much a free meal to them. you wont really be imitating the dying thrash of a gold fish on a straight retrieve and if a biggun had been caught using  a gold fish or any fish for that matter, they are gonna stay away from that thing. unless you are certain that there are native wild gold fish swimming around your lakes and ponds (not koi) then i think that a gold fish bait will not work for you.

21 minutes ago, Chazzy said:

yunique baits have some bright orange carp soft baits that fit that profile exactly. I know you see them using gold fish as livebait but here´s my thinking. I believe that imitating a gold fish is an absolute waste of your time. its not a natural presentation, and im pretty sure the big bass only see live gold fish with hooks in their backs so they associate them with being caught. The only reason they are catching them on gold fish is because they are alive and a bright orange little fish thrashing around dying pretty is much a free meal to them. you wont really be imitating the dying thrash of a gold fish on a straight retrieve and if a biggun had been caught using  a gold fish or any fish for that matter, they are gonna stay away from that thing. unless you are certain that there are native wild gold fish swimming around your lakes and ponds (not koi) then i think that a gold fish bait will not work for you.

You make good point(s), come to think of it my ‘dialed in’ craw patterns rarely have orange in them

29 minutes ago, Chazzy said:

So do you think if someone released a bunch of gold fish or one managed to get off the hook and survive the bass would not eat them because they do not appear to be dying? 

44 minutes ago, i feed fish said:

So do you think if someone released a bunch of gold fish or one managed to get off the hook and survive the bass would not eat them because they do not appear to be dying? 

I´m sure the bass would eat a gold fish if it got off a hook and survived that because its a free meal. but @dqb never said that there had been goldfish released into the ponds or lakes he is fishing, and i never stated that a bass wouldn´t eat them. i stated that i believe a factor in the bass eating them would be the fact that they are injured. i totally agree that if a handful of goldfish were released and the bass ate them with out a hook that they would do it again as bass are such opportunistic feeders, but my point is that those fish that are being targeted with gold fish are probably getting conditioned to not eat them as they 1) aren´t a natural food source 2) have probably been hooked after eating one.  i think that you @i feed fish are arguing a point that is purely hypothetical/situational that really holds little bearing. we all know that bass are opportunistic feeders and of course would eat a gold fish that was released into a pond, but you need to remember that that is probably a one or two time occurrence that the bass don´t normally look for or hunt the gold fish unless it happens to be swimming by dying attached to somone´s line or they accidentally got dumped.

1 hour ago, Chazzy said:

I´m sure the bass would eat a gold fish if it got off a hook and survived that because its a free meal. but @dqb never said that there had been goldfish released into the ponds or lakes he is fishing, and i never stated that a bass wouldn´t eat them. i stated that i believe a factor in the bass eating them would be the fact that they are injured. i totally agree that if a handful of goldfish were released and the bass ate them with out a hook that they would do it again as bass are such opportunistic feeders, but my point is that those fish that are being targeted with gold fish are probably getting conditioned to not eat them as they 1) aren´t a natural food source 2) have probably been hooked after eating one.  i think that you @i feed fish are arguing a point that is purely hypothetical/situational that really holds little bearing. we all know that bass are opportunistic feeders and of course would eat a gold fish that was released into a pond, but you need to remember that that is probably a one or two time occurrence that the bass don´t normally look for or hunt the gold fish unless it happens to be swimming by dying attached to somone´s line or they accidentally got dumped.

I guess I am not following your logic.

So bass will eat them if given the opportunity because they are opportunistic feeders. That is unless they do not eat them because they are being conditioned not to eat them, by eating them?

Edited by i feed fish