hook paint

MattGbaz

was wanting to paint some black st36s white so they are more stealth. I was thinking white nail polish but wasn't sure if that would stay on permanently or if it would come off after one or 2 trips. Anyone know of any good white paint that would bond well to hook and be permanent?

thanks

Testors enamel pens get scratched off after a few months but don’t add weight or cover the barb and point. Powder coat is durable as sin but comes on a little thicker and clogs the barb and covers the point. I experimented with this last spring and was just too dissatisfied with my results, particularly with the powder paint. I just ordered a fluid bed for powder coating so I’ll be interested to see how much of a difference that makes. 
As to the effectiveness; I definitely think anything you can do to increase realism is worth your time. If not for a game changing difference then at least for peace of mind.
image.thumb.jpeg.3792d50a19909e27da090546e4765d85.jpeg

36 minutes ago, B_larkin3 said:

Wouldn’t white make the hooks even more visible? Or is it just to blend in with the bottom of the bait?

This is my question too; isn't white gonna be the MOST visible hook color?? We use white baits when we want high visibility in murky/stained waters, I'm not getting how white hooks become invisible...?

3 hours ago, BoatSquirrel said:

It may sound crazy but does camo-ing hooks mean more big fish bites? Makes a ton of sense. Does adding feathers do the same thing?  Fascinating!

I don't use feathers for concealing but I'm sure it works, I use feathers as a target point for my bigger 11in baits. 

19 minutes ago, MattGbaz said:

I don't use feathers for concealing but I'm sure it works, I use feathers as a target point for my bigger 11in baits. 

My thought is that a dressed hook looks like a protruding fin or a chunk of tattered flesh just begging to be torn off by the teeth. If you see a trout or sucker swimming about after a pike ripped a hole in it the resemblance is easy to see.

I personally wouldn't paint my hooks on a hardbait, but if it was to match a softbait I would. As @Jon P said, the feathers are a super good way to turn something that could cause the fish to hesitate to bit just the hook since it looks like an easy target/meal

We add long feathers to the rear treble on our surface plugs for stripers in the salt. It often turns a follower into a biter. When you see the fish follow the plug. Stop. The feathers still move very subtle. They fish often smashes