Bite-Sized Shad

danthefisherman

Painted up one of the protos today...in a similar pattern of course :lol:

20210724_172547-01.thumb.jpeg.8828789e5d66bdc0ccf454e1720a3485.jpeg

Still tinkering around trying to find the same balance, action, and reactivity of that first prototype...I'm close, but so far it's been a tough thing to replicate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2021 at 10:15 AM, danthefisherman said:

KBS Diamond Clear for a quick clear coat or 2k automotive if I have enough baits ready to use up a can.

Just throwing this out there if your 2k is the spraymax in a can. You can store it after using it in the freezer for long periods and it will not harden on you. I've gone months with a partially used can in the freezer and taken it out and used it again. Just leave it out of the freezer for a day before using it so its all at room temp again and shake it and spray it like you just poped it new. 

5 hours ago, kennyisnotdead said:

Just throwing this out there if your 2k is the spraymax in a can. You can store it after using it in the freezer for long periods and it will not harden on you. I've gone months with a partially used can in the freezer and taken it out and used it again. Just leave it out of the freezer for a day before using it so its all at room temp again and shake it and spray it like you just poped it new. 

Thanks for the tip! Yeah I've heard of people doing this, but something about storing pressurized automotive product in the freezer doesn't bode well with me haha. I imagine the times I've had soda in the freezer for too long and the cans bulge out looking ready to explode.

• 2 months later...

Quick update on this little bait:

I pushed hard to get four molds made and poured my first run of four. Wow it was nice to consolidate setup/teardown and have all those blanks ready for prototyping at one time. Then, of course, my brain kept trying to think up new ways that I might be able to improve functionality/fishabilty/manufacturability and thus render all those molds obsolete haha

One issue I've been having is that the bait is so small that the front hook catches the line occasionally when I work the bait too hard and give it slack. I can easily avoid fouling my line because I have a good feel for the bait, but another fisherman might not be able to take the bait out for the first time and do the same. @buzzed bait was kind enough to gift me a handful of Mustad Triple Grips to see if a shorter shank hook would help with the problem.

20211121_213133-01.thumb.jpeg.8f5da8f408dc3ca6d90a84e81c788b85.jpeg

Here's one of my prototypes in a semi-sad looking golden shiner colorway (I need to brush up on my painting skills). It is equipped with the Triple Grips and@swimbaitunderground Zero split rings. Now that I have the shorter shank hooks and more clearance between the two, I am debating moving the fronthook hanger back even further. There are also some mold orientation modifications that I might try to try to improve cosmetics of the raw blanks. All will constitute remaking my molds and readjusting my formulas/hardware placement.

It's a lot of work and extra investment but will be worth it in the long run I think. I'm not going to leave any stones left unturned to make this bait the best that it can be. Stay tuned and thanks for following along!