Painting baits

willlliw

I'm new to bait building this year and i'm not working with the most substantial arsenal of tools and money but what have everyone found to be the most effective way to paint and clear coat baits? Im sort of making these baits out of necessity because it's cheaper than buying custom baits and more rewarding to me to catch fish on something I made. I'm open to any techniques everyone uses i'm just wondering how to go about this. Thanks!

A32F2897-CE83-4B6B-A741-C60236136269.jpeg

Buy a cheap ass airbrush, the master series and get some BSI 2 part epoxy!  It may be a bit hard because the bait is put together already, but usually I like to epoxy/resin before assembly.

You can also just hand paint them or get some rattle cans.  We all start somewhere!!

11 hours ago, SacPig916 said:

Buy a cheap ass airbrush, the master series and get some BSI 2 part epoxy!  It may be a bit hard because the bait is put together already, but usually I like to epoxy/resin before assembly.

You can also just hand paint them or get some rattle cans.  We all start somewhere!!

Thanks for the tips, as of now I've been rattle canning them, seems like a good ability to be able to make baits consistently, ill probably go with the airbrush for the future 

I'm new to bait making as well, I've been at it for a little over a year. I went straight to airbrush which works awesome. I do feel like I still have a lot to learn in regards how to use it and adjust air pressure for different viscosities of paints. My first epoxy coats were with Devcon 2 ton epoxy and it worked great, however buying tub after tube was getting old so I went with a 16oz kit of envirotex lite which works alright. For some reason my baits always seem to get fish eye effect on first coat so I have to do 2-3 coats to cover all that up.

Back to your question on most effective paints. The more I look at pictures of awesome painted baits I notice a lot of them are built with just 3-4 colors and look fantastic.  If I were to start over I might go that route. I would use model building spray paints for that could be found at hobby lobby.  Just grab 4 or 5 colors. And keep things simple. Sometimes less is more.  You will also save tons of time not cleaning an airbrush between colors..

I also recommend getting an airbrush allows for great detail. I would recommend get a master airbrush and use it for a few months or until it breaks that way you can make mistakes with something that won’t break your wallet.After that I would get an iwata in what ever price range you have.I would also suggest going with envirotex I tried Devcon But it gave me lots of fish eye and ripples in my clear coat:) good luck