Bloated Hyprid on the Toxic Whippersnapper

Swimbait302

This fatty gave me the fright of my life, I bombed the bait across the pond and was slowly waking it around a fallen tree when she slurped in under without a sound while I had my head turned. When I reeled down to her she took me on a sleigh ride across the pond and I had to make sure to lead it away from multiple rock piles and when she got stuck on the dock pilings I jumped off the dock to get her unstuck. Super fun bycatch but I would’ve been defeated if she broke of my brand new whippersnapper, she did however bend out st-36s without breaking a sweat. Anyone else have any experience with hybrids on swimbaits?0E9BA613-10BA-4879-A813-8541D2DF09E8.thumb.jpeg.9e9604760b38f5c66d7267dd7cd9b960.jpeg4DBDD76E-F874-4495-BEC3-A648FC05AAA3.thumb.jpeg.cfb9dd84e9709876aa785b71a911bb08.jpeg

Edited by Swimbait302

Awesome fish and story! Last year I believe I had my first encounter with a hybrid in a lake that used to stock them but stopped years ago. It was my first trip out with a baby wake and shortly after the sun set I get the loudest blow up I’ve ever heard as soon as the baby wake lands on top of a point. I set the hook and it’s pulling me around in my kayak like it’s nothing for a good 15 seconds and then wraps me up in a tree in 15 fow. Sad to say I broke off my new to me baby wake and never got to see the fish. I’m assuming it was a big hybrid since I hear they take long runs like that and muskies tend fight different. I had another big blow up in the same spot up a few nights later but didn’t hook up. Still looking for my first. 

No experience yet... I got a spot where I think I could get one to eat a rat though later this spring. My friends catch them all the time but so far I think they just hate me for some reason lol.  Awesome fish! That thing is a phatty. 

Edited by ThatKidInNY

Sweet hybrid (we call 'em wipers here in Colorado) and awesome story, especially the part about you jumping in to untangle the fish from the dock.  Seriously hard core!

I think Swimbo (maker of MOAM sticks) regularly stuck wipers on swimbaits when he was still in CO and likely is still sticking them in TX.  I've landed two in DD class - one on a Hudd in a lake that is heavily stocked with trout and another that surprised me on a crankdown Slammer.  I was targeting them in the first case, but in the second I thought I had a state-record largemouth until I saw the flash with stripes.

1stHuddWiper.jpg.d0911e5dbe9466f97bf55fbcfddfb145.jpg

Hudd-eating wiper/hybrid

438777157_MSSSlammerWiper.jpg.81ce8971f6b6c18ab0789687791ab610.jpg