First solid pike of the year

Jon P

Got up early to look at the state of the sloughs around town. We had pretty poor snowpack this spring so the rivers are unusually low for the middle of April. Probably about 2-3 feet lower than what would be considered normal for this time of year. We'll probably have a delayed pike spawn and some trout kills this summer as a result. But on the upside that means a good year for bass in the river and some great early spring pike fishing! The pike winter in the deep runs of the main river, holding tight to the bottom in twenty to thirty foot of water. Once warmer weather melts the snowpack, and the rivers rise they move shallow to the mouths of the sloughs where they'll spawn in late May to early June. Right now as the water is lower than what they're used to for the spawn, there's massive schools of pike trying to move upstream. In this particular there's about a dozen fish ranging from five pounds to the high 'teens. I got a few to follow, but the only one to react was this 32" fish. After classes are out I'm going to hit up a few more similarly structured spots, see if I can't find anything more sizeable.

BA1C89A4-C435-4E1B-8C44-7138146576EC.thumb.jpeg.abf828fcb52975e040aed736523eed6f (2).jpeg

2 minutes ago, willlliw said:

Nice Fish, I can't wait for pike and Muskie season to open here in NY, is that the Balam 300?

yup! Does NY have a set season for them?

Great fish! I have grown to love pike over the past year, so much so that come May 1st (opening day for pike/muskie on my waters in NY) I will be exclusively targetting them until the water gets too warm. Bass only hold their appeal for so long when there are 40+" fish with teeth the size of nails and unmatched aggression right next door

Awesome fish, I have also came to love pike, I live in Wisconsin so they ate pretty common to run into. I definitely go out just targeting them and run into some big guys here and there. They are a fun fight and different from bass that’s for sure.