What Did I do wrong?? Let me know. On the baitsanity antidote

DrewManFishing

2 hours ago, CG_Fishes said:

You set the hook and ripped the bait out of the fish's mouth, just reel into them with hardbaits. Oliver Ngy talks about this more in depth and has far more experience than me, but I never set like that with a hardbait

agreed. I never set the hook on hardbaits. I don't find the need because im fishing gami round bends or st 36s which are wicked sharp. they will hook themselves and all you have to do is wind down and stick your rod tip down immediately. Looks like it didn't get hooked very well which is just bad luck. 

I’ve lost fish trying “not setting hook” too. My personal opinion, it’s a combination of the 2. You wait until the rod is partially loaded up then swing, if you swing on the initial tick you will often times pull it out of their mouth as stated but unless your running really light wire hooks I feel like you still gotta set it to bury those hooks but only after they’ve already pinned themselves if that makes any sense. Just my experience and opinion

edit: I run 2x & 3x hooks a lot of times (st 46-56 I think?) maybe not such an issue with the 36s

Edited by brootalititties

5 hours ago, brootalititties said:

I’ve lost fish trying “not setting hook” too. My personal opinion, it’s a combination of the 2. You wait until the rod is partially loaded up then swing, if you swing on the initial tick you will often times pull it out of their mouth as stated but unless your running really light wire hooks I feel like you still gotta set it to bury those hooks but only after they’ve already pinned themselves if that makes any sense. Just my experience and opinion

edit: I run 2x & 3x hooks a lot of times (st 46-56 I think?) maybe not such an issue with the 36s

I think this is the best way for sure. The problem with this fish was I saw it bite so I got trigger happy haha. I use Gamakatsu round bend