crawdad/jon boat dolly/launching wheels

chefchris

anyone have any real experience with something like the picture below? 

Thinking of buying/making something similar to help move the solo crawdad into some hard to reach ponds/bodies of water. 

I've see a bunch of homemade versions and some other store bought options (most of which have horrible reviews or no longer made) 

EasyLoadDolly_title_1024x1024.jpg

I've something similar and in my experience the kind that connects directly to the boat aren't very reliable and do poor on anything other than road. From what I've seen the best ones cradle the back of the boat so the wheels can stay connected in one unit.

Similar to this one but large

Ra6c7e727f499c54203ce30b6473f5173?rik=8i

I was just thinking about this after repairing my crawdad for leaks. I was trying to figure out something you could just fold up when fishing and fold down when launching or unlaunching. Smaller wheels like off a grill or lawn mower. 
was trying to stay away from any sort of axle. Seems like it would be bulky and awkward. 
I think if you were dragging in some where far I would look into some rugged handtruck wheels. Then it’s just figuring out some sort of bracket. 

1 minute ago, tybo jones said:

I was just thinking about this after repairing my crawdad for leaks. I was trying to figure out something you could just fold up when fishing and fold down when launching or unlaunching. Smaller wheels like off a grill or lawn mower. 
was trying to stay away from any sort of axle. Seems like it would be bulky and awkward. 
I think if you were dragging in some where far I would look into some rugged handtruck wheels. Then it’s just figuring out some sort of bracket. 

I was thinking a heavy duty hand truck and some straps might also work. Just a matter of where you would pull it from seeing the hand truck would be under the boat. Then I figured leave it next to the put in, chained up or something 

41 minutes ago, willlliw said:

I've something similar and in my experience the kind that connects directly to the boat aren't very reliable and do poor on anything other than road. From what I've seen the best ones cradle the back of the boat so the wheels can stay connected in one unit.

Similar to this one but large

Ra6c7e727f499c54203ce30b6473f5173?rik=8i

I use something similar to this to move my Hobie Outback Around and it’s a bit of a pain.  The dolly has to be positioned almost perfectly for balance when moving the yak around - when u lift the boat up onto the dolly u need to get it centered just right and then you have to walk around the yak a few times to to strap  it to the cart  - I know 1st world problems.  

My buddy bought a cheap one off Amazon for $40 it literally broke on his first launch - I think I paid over $150 for mine and it’s still working.  

I did a Google search on “ crawdad bass bait dolly “ - loads of options and opinionS out there. 

11 minutes ago, Jim137a said:

I use something similar to this to move my Hobie Outback Around and it’s a bit of a pain.  The dolly has to be positioned almost perfectly for balance when moving the yak around - when u lift the boat up onto the dolly u need to get it centered just right and then you have to walk around the yak a few times to to strap  it to the cart  - I know 1st world problems.  

My buddy bought a cheap one off Amazon for $40 it literally broke on his first launch - I think I paid over $150 for mine and it’s still working.  

I did a Google search on “ crawdad bass bait dolly “ - loads of options and opinionS out there. 

Yeah I watched that video a few times, seems like that general idea is the way to go. 

1 minute ago, swimbaitrookie said:

I have one of these for my yak and while not perfect, it lets me load the yak at the truck and haul it a ways to some more challenging put-ins.

https://yakgear.com/product/c-tug-kayak-canoe-cart/

That’s the one I wanted but last year you couldn’t find them cause of the pandemic.  I had to settle - my cart isn’t bad once U get used to it but it could be better. 

I also have  the Hobie cart that slips into the scupper holes - transport a well but u need to lift the yak up and perfectly align it. 

1 minute ago, Jim137a said:

That’s the one I wanted but last year you couldn’t find them cause of the pandemic.  I had to settle - my cart isn’t bad once U get used to it but it could be better. 

I also have  the Hobie cart that slips into the scupper holes - transport a well but u need to lift the yak up and perfectly align it. 

I have to pick up the rear of the yak and get it centered on this cart as well, not always easy to get aligned on the first attempt.  Seems like it wants to fall over sometimes just to piss me off.

22 minutes ago, swimbaitrookie said:

I have to pick up the rear of the yak and get it centered on this cart as well, not always easy to get aligned on the first attempt.  Seems like it wants to fall over sometimes just to piss me off.

Exactly - it happens more at night when the mosquitos are biting the heck out of me.  And def happens more after I get skunked.  Lol

54 minutes ago, Jim137a said:

Exactly - it happens more at night when the mosquitos are biting the heck out of me.  And def happens more after I get skunked.  Lol

I feel your pain!  There's been more than one time I've thought about just leaving the yak at the shoreline.