Same Glide New Tail

morgantm16

Well I haven’t had time for new projects in the swimbait category (current working on several new more conventional baits and that’s eating most of my time), but I saw a picture of a 3:16 workhorse the other day in the electric chicken color and decided I wanted a bait in a similar color. So I felt inspired and dug out the ol mold. I had a paint brush sidelined for a future swimbait project and thought “I’ve never stuck a brushed tail in my shad glide” so I figured we would swap the urethane rubber fin for the brush. Also I left off the top dorsal fin and filled in the slot for it and sanded back off. The slung a little paint job on close the the electric chicken color. Decide I had t made a post in a bit and since it’s least a little different for the one I submitted in the first bait swap, I would show it off.

Total length with the urethane rubber fin is normally 7 3/8” but the brush pushed it out to 8”

7E5B7507-1A67-4085-A4D3-DC30F0017ECC.jpeg

Edited by morgantm16

Thanks Will! I change a few things up, but wanted something close.  Added a little orange around the hooks, went with copper instead of gold on the gill plate, left of a little silver below the eye and left of the fin which I kind of with I would have painted now.  I didn't overspray around the edges as much either, tried leaving as many scales visible as possible.  Not visible from the angle I'm holding it other than around the eye, but I sprayed some iridescent purple/violet down the back too.  

Thanks Chris! Yeah I just got tired of paying $25 a bait for balsa squarebills, so I started building my own and Prop baits with it too…. Only problem is I buy more balsa than even now too because I’m even more interested in it lol. Now I buy them not only buying them to fish but I’m buying the collector stuff too. Helps me build my own to get my hands on as many as I can too.

Thanks Dan! Do you have a harbor freight where your at? That where I got mine, I might’ve spent $2-3 for about a 4-5” wide brush. Bristles are plenty long too, I trimmed about half the length off and still got a tail that length.

14 minutes ago, chefchris said:

the hits of orange on the hook hangers is such a nice touch 

I wanted to brighten it up some and hopefully get them to key on the hooks, glad you liked it because it was more or less an impulse decision to do it haha!

51 minutes ago, azsouth said:

I was waiting for a fish to grab it.

Haha I would've been so surprised I wouldn't have known what to do!  That little pond is at a nature center here in town and is stocked with trout in the winter and catfish in the summer.  There are very few bass in it. It's covered with people and everyone keeps the fish they catch there.  BUT it makes for a good place for me to swim test and tune lures, especially if they are going to someone else because I don't have to really worry about catching a fish there and putting teeth marks on a bait thats for someone else lol. Water is always that stained color, but they have piers that give me a better vantage point so I can see what my lure does way out on the end of a long cast and not just what it does up close.  That being said, there are a few bass in it and every once in awhile I'll go there to swim test or tune and stick one. Always catches me off guard because nobody catches bass out there and if you do, people think you're joking when you tell them.  Outside of water clarity, it gives me a good place close to the house to go run and see what baits do.  

18 hours ago, morgantm16 said:

I wanted to brighten it up some and hopefully get them to key on the hooks, glad you liked it because it was more or less an impulse decision to do it haha!

I do that a lot on my saltwater striper plugs so i like it a lot and think it helps, in my mind its a huge confidence booster