Hudd tip to tell a 5 from a 12 weedless..

Bassindon69

Hey don, after banging a bunch of fish have you had the internal harness kinda loosen from the body and pull down the hook a bit after coming through cover? I have been using a toothpick through the nose plastic and hookeye but am going to shoot some super glue in to try and re secure it. Not complaining one bit, i put it through hell, just wondering if you have had this happen and know a fix for it.

Ceaser, I have had the same issue even in the first few casts with the weedless. I had to open it and glue it to the inside. The lead seems to be a lot more pliable in the weedless than the standards, too.

The 1st run was more of an issue with that. Mine came out too and I glued it. In time they will get so beat they wont be very weedless anymore but it's a soft bait and with them comes fixing/repairing, When the rubber 1st starts to break free from the eyetie a drop of super glue will help that before it gets worse. These baits wont last like the 12 and 16 jig hook baits. Thats why I said don't just bottom bounce it unless you feel you have too. Keep them for when they are needed. I use mine in a trip and when one gets beat up a little I change to another bait and fix what needs to be that night for the next trip. ;) He is still working on the weight hook harness, he has an idea so it may change a bit again in the future ;)8-)

cool. I know some repairs are in order with softys. Just checking if other had the same deal and how they fixed it. My weedless' are getting thrashed bumping and smashing into wood and getting slow rolled thru heavy tules. this bait is doing exactly what I hoped.. going places I couldnt effectively fish a hudd before... HEAVY HEAVY cover... and the fish are loving it! :D

I'm not boiling them unless they are kinked. These weedless baits feel a good bit softer than the regular 8". A lot like the old baits actually.

I've cut one open from the chin to the back of the harness to tweak a couple of things, but on the water I've done pretty well getting beat up baits back in tune. I haven't had the harness just pull out of the bait, but after time a couple of mine have become less than weedless. The hook point sticks out just enough to pickup grass.

I don't know exactly how that happened. Hard to tell if the harness shifted, or something else. But I've managed to fix it on the water by grabbing the hudd with a finger or two over the hook and my thumb on the lead in the belly. Just squeeze to bend the lead a little bit up towards the hook and you can kind of work the whole harness down toward the belly.

Also, the harness shifts a little to one side. It's happened on two of my baits. And I didn't really pay any attention to it at first. The hook point comes out of the bait at a slight angle, not straight in line in the hook slot. After I missed a couple of fish I noticed that I was driving the hook through the side of the hook slot, so I've started to really to keep them running perfect while I'm fishing.

My opinion though, I won't complain a bit about them. There's still room for a little improvement and I'm sure that'll come, but the fact that I can finally throw this bait up into anything I want makes it worth whatever little bit of maintenance I have to do on the water.

You will have to give them hair cuts now and then too :lol: If you have the newer ones you will know what I mean soon enough. When you work the harness back to where it should be (if it slips) a bit of super glue down inside helps too. After fishing them a bit I put a drop around the nose also to hold that in place too.

The hook point comes out of the bait at a slight angle, not straight in line in the hook slot. After I missed a couple of fish I noticed that I was driving the hook through the side of the hook slot, so I've started to really to keep them running perfect while I'm fishing.

now i need to inspect my baits. i've had one come back a few times with the hook point "skinning" into the side of the hook slot. i've always just thought that maybe it landed funny or it got knocked around when dragged over a tree...

i think this thread jinxed me. :roll::roll::evil::evil:

i had everything described here happen last night. hudd got wedged enough in some rocks that yanking it out tore the little piece of plastic inside the eyelet. then the next cast had a massive backlash that brought the hudd slamming down on some rocks. that loosened up the entire harness and put the hook through the side of the bait. and then all that movement of the hook made the barb snag up the sides of the cutout (i think this is the hair that was referred to earlier)

good news is that the Hudd glue seems to work really well and got everything patched up where they're supposed to be. i thought the bait was a gonner.. will see how the Hudd glue lasts in water this weekend.

tend to prefer the weedless when throwing from shore, but definitely going to stop using it in water that is mostly rocky and sandy bottom.

3;16 glue or hudd glue is a lifesaver!!! and if you super glue the harness.. i just stuck the nozzle of the glue into the bottom small holes and squeezed... DONT do that! LMAO! You can put it in through there but you dont need alot and after sit it upright on its belly like it was laying on the bottom. I hung mine up and the glue ran all over the hook and leaked onto the tail and everything :cry::cry::lol: Still whacks fish though after I salvaged it! :D

Here is how I know which hudd is which rof. I fish both the rof 0 and the rof 5. Since I add weights to the 0 to make it sink very slow I needed a way to tell the difference between the two and this would also work for the weedless hudd.

I simply bent out a paper clip and shaped each end as either a "0" or "5". Take a lighter and heat up the metal then gently press the paper clip into the belly of the hudd and it will melt an outline of the number on the paper clip onto the bait.

Below is a picture of a 0 and a 5. I circled the numbers so you can find them easier. In person the numbers are a lot easier to see. Hope this helps someone out.

post-1867-14252988297861_thumb.jpg

post-1867-14252988298086_thumb.jpg