Trouble with old friend and local tournament

Dnewpo57

I don't fish tournaments but in my opinion if he's cussing you out publicly he doesn't consider you a friend nor does he respect you. 2 if you found spots with him regardless of who's boat your on its your spot too. Now if he put you on a spot and you want to use it in a tournament you're both in then sure show him courtesy and say hey just a heads up I plan on fishing this spot but in no way do you need permission. 

2 hours ago, MA Frog Man said:

"Not Allowed" him. I'm glad I don't fish tournaments anymore. Too many politics from a bunch of guys throwing senkos into 12 inches of water. 

I haven’t read something so true in such a long time. LOL

2 hours ago, Tony_x18 said:

I don't fish tournaments but in my opinion if he's cussing you out publicly he doesn't consider you a friend nor does he respect you. 2 if you found spots with him regardless of who's boat your on its your spot too. Now if he put you on a spot and you want to use it in a tournament you're both in then sure show him courtesy and say hey just a heads up I plan on fishing this spot but in no way do you need permission. 

I don’t agree. If me and a buddy find a spot together it’s our spot. You don’t take other guys there, and I don’t take other guys there unless we clear it with one another or it’s a dude both of us trust. Had too many places blown by a friend with a friend who tells a friend, who tells his friends. 

I’m of the opinion that once you flap your gums about any spot, technique or “secrets”, you’ve completely relieved yourself of any expectation that the intel will not get blown up.  That applies to telling your tourney partner about it or blabbing about it on social media.  

Crying about it at the dock is fckin hilarious though.

I have a buddy or two that I fish tournaments with here and there, but that I also fish against them in others.  We fish a lot of the same spots and water, a lot of it is stuff we have both found independently of each other and know we both fish and then in a few cases they are spots we've shared with eachother. Biggest thing if we fish against each other is maybe a little pre tournament communication, not really looking for help or information, but we want eachother to do well, so maybe we check to make sure we aren't stepping on eachothers toes.  Other times we might just share the area. It's not really any big deal either way, nothing to cause a scene over at a ramp like that, its public water and your fishing behind people most of the time anyways.

I’m so glad I stopped fishing tournaments about 20 years ago. Even with little 4-boat card tournaments there was so much drama over rules and spots and the like when the payout might be $60-$100. It doesn’t sound like it has gotten any better. I definitely wouldn’t consider the guy a friend, maybe call him an acquaintance and ask yourself if you really want to associate with him if this is what he considers appropriate treatment.

4 hours ago, ferrulewax said:

I don’t agree. If me and a buddy find a spot together it’s our spot. You don’t take other guys there, and I don’t take other guys there unless we clear it with one another or it’s a dude both of us trust. Had too many places blown by a friend with a friend who tells a friend, who tells his friends. 

I agree it’s our spot so I’m not asking permission to go there. Now showing other people spots is a different and more complex conversation but I read the OP as he’s fishing solo and he old partner thinks he owns rights to a spot they found together 

I think you can go 2 ways on this.

No one owns any spots, especially a point as you mentioned. This said point could be found by any person that knows how to fish. Now if it was a deep offshore structure in a very large lake that you needed GPS to located it and it was just you fishing it then he really has no say. If you posted the coordinates maybe he could get pissed but again that is your choice, no one owns spots.

2rd would be my choice. Find better spots and bring in two times his weight bag and tell him to stick his spots up his ass.

I got into the club and tournament fishing a very long time ago and only lasted about 2 mounths. It was like fishing with a bunch of housewives. Had the president of the club call me the night before one of the tournaments and changed the pond because when,he was practicing he scratched his trolling motor on his 15 year old Ranger, that's when I quit.

Lastly always carry as this guys sounds like a a-hole and may get very upset when you smoke his ass.

I’ve been fishing tournaments for a long time and have had good success. I’ve found that bass fisherman (not all, and usually not the good ones) are kinda like schoolyard bullies. They’re gonna see if they can scare you or intimidate you into doing what they want.

You need to stand up and give it right back to him. He obviously doesn’t think of you as a friend, he thinks of you as his pet and he wants you to obey. Have confidence and put him right back where he belongs. He sounds like a blowhard who wants to make a scene.

I also agree with what Brian said above, try to find your own areas and really get them dialed in and then go out there and freakin bury everyone with a giant bag. LOL! Nothing better!

1 hour ago, MEGAMAG119 said:

bassbass always fishes strapped… don’t f$&k with him lol. 

Brian seems like one of the best guys that I've never met. He's helped me out on a few different occasions and never asked or expected anything in return. 

Edited by chevro1et