Removing line

Loudsplashbassn_

I used to cut off line due to putting a potential kink in the fluorocarbon at the top guide from using the hook keeper. Maybe that's the reasoning behind the 6' recommendation. Now I use Rapid Fishing Solutions line clips. I can cut off the lure and either store the line at the tip of the rod or, my preference at the reel. 

However, I'm constantly checking my line for wear and tear.  Been burned too many times not doing this and not retying. So in the end, I do cut off some line, but not 6'.

Edited by Mossyback Angler
Additional Info.

If you take the time to run your hand along the line before you start fishing, you might be surprised how far from the lure you’ll find nicks and rough spots. I definitely cut the line above those, because if I hook a big fish on a long cast, or have a fish big enough to pull out line to that spot, I don’t want to pop the line and lose the fish because of it.

1 hour ago, FishDr said:

If you take the time to run your hand along the line before you start fishing, you might be surprised how far from the lure you’ll find nicks and rough spots. I definitely cut the line above those, because if I hook a big fish on a long cast, or have a fish big enough to pull out line to that spot, I don’t want to pop the line and lose the fish because of it.

Yea i had a knick in my spool and pitched off my lure on the pitch lol ever since then i check a little further then usual . if tie a knot and it kinks ill retie it with more salvia lol 

3 hours ago, rwp said:

I run 100 feet of mono on braid. I replace the mono fairly often, but it's cheap.

Line gets beat where I fish.

Makes sense now lol was like man 30 ft 

26 minutes ago, azsouth said:

Trim it up! Line fatigue is another reason.

I agree with the line fatigue. Throwing big baits stretches line over and over and mostly the first 10-15 feet so I pull off that much before every trip. Inspect line often and retie a few times during the day.