This is how it all started.

Bassindon69

How did it start for you?

My Dad fished a lot too. He got me hooked. As soon as I could ride a bike (and mom would let me go :lol: ) I would ride down to Frenchy's bait dock (Marina Del Rey) and fish for Bone heads, cuda's and halibuts (loved light tackle in the surf too). I made money selling fish to those who lived around us (they would ask for halibuts mostly) :lol: . I hated asking Dad for any money, he would always ask " WHAT FOR" :lol:

I moved up here in Nor cal at age 21. He died of cancer shortly after I got into bass only real heavy in my mid 20's. Never got to take him bass fishing :cry: . He would have LOVED IT! I owe it to DAD! Thanks DAD! post-483-1425298498614_thumb.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's great Don! Like you my dad got me into fishing at a young age. First reel I ever got was a shimano baitcaster haha. Can't remember what model it was but he would help me practice in our backyard seemed like hours to me. I would throw zoom an berkleys all day long until about 2 years ago I saw my dad throwing frogs an the explosions he was getting...that's when a deeeeep addiction started. Last summer we were fishing a heavy grass bed when I saw huge bass busting on shad. After that trip went home and being the master googler, started looking at swimbaits and swimbait gear. Long story short after that first swimbait fish it's been a full blown addiction and it's getting worse everyday. Thanks Dad for setting me up!

for me it started really young i was introduced to fishing and being on the water when i was only a couple years old, but it really took off for me when i was about 4 years old i already knew i liked to fish and be outside and play around water. this was around 1997 when my grandparents moved out into the woods and had a good chunk of property in rogue river oregon including a pond and a creek within a hundred yards of the house. we have always been close in our family relations and most weekends a good portion of the immediate family would go out to the "pond house" to spend the weekend, even though my family has a moderate history in fishing in the past nobody was into it as much as i was this move to the pond house really set me off it was where i learned the basics of what i know now! nobody really taught me how to fish i had a rod a little pond and thats it, i would wake up in the morning and walk down the stairs to fish, put on my little life jacket and hit the pond.... at this place i learned to cast, hook... but i really hated picking out knots and tangles in my reel back then i could really do it all by myself witch i really think has helped me get to where im at today doing it all alone and going through the trial and error by myself really aided in my interest of fishing and how to do it right. even back then i only liked to use artificials, plastic worms and crankbaits, i learned to tie knots for fishing before i could tie my shoes thats no joke haha it was a really cool place to grow up!

heres a picture from back then its dated on the back '97 making me about 4 and a half i casted and worked the bait and enticed that fish to eat as well as landed the fish and tied the knot it was caught on when i was that old haha i know it sounds over the top but i think its really cool not sure how big it was when i was a kid i said it was 4lbs sounds good to me lol. got it on a purple and pink 6" renegade worm from wal-mart lol pretty awesome memories.

post-86-14252984986566_thumb.jpg

My dad was a meat fisherman, not much one for the sport of it, and we fished a few times a year, always from the bank or at stock ponds for crappie, cats, whatever would bite live bait. When I was 13 I saw a tv show called "The American Angler" with John Fox and I knew right then that I was going to be a professional bass fisherman. I convinced my dad to buy a small aluminum boat and he and I fished a lot during my teenage years, not catching alot but we had good times anyway. I tried to learn as much as I could from magazines and such but we never got much better. When I turned 18 and knew everything that I ever needed to know I got away from fishing and we rarely went out. I took 10 or so years off, got married, and went on vacation to a place my wife's sister had access to that had a "stock pond with some fish in it" so I took some of my old tackle. Three casts with a buzzbait and a 6lb'er eats it :shock: I have been nuts for bass fishing ever since. That was 20 years ago and I'm still at it so I can partially blame my wife :D

I never got to hook my dad up with a big bass. He passed away 5 years ago but not before I got to take him out in my new Ranger a year before. After we got back to the ramp he said "if I'd known the big fancy boats were this nice to fish from, we would have had one a long time ago..."

Now my #1 partner for the past few years, my 17 y/o son, is getting too busy to fish much. So I'm training a new partner - my 14 y/o daughter. She likes big bass on swimbaits too. Takes after her mother :D

How did it start for you?

My Dad fished a lot too. He got me hooked. As soon as I could ride a bike (and mom would let me go :lol: ) I would ride down to Frenchy's bait dock (Marina Del Rey) and fish for Bone heads, cuda's and halibuts (loved light tackle in the surf too). I made money selling fish to those who lived around us (they would ask for halibuts mostly) :lol: . I hated asking Dad for any money, he would always ask " WHAT FOR" :lol:

I moved up here in Nor cal at age 21. He died of cancer shortly after I got into bass only real heavy in my mid 20's. Never got to take him bass fishing :cry: . He would have LOVED IT! I owe it to DAD! Thanks DAD! [attachment=0]Copyofscan0022 Copy.JPG[/attachment]

Cool pic Don

All my childhood vacations involved fishing in some way, so I can't really singe out just one of them. We would go camp on the beach at cape cod and surf fish. Going to Maine to bass/trout fish. Camping/fishing through Canada on the way to my Grandparents in Michigan. Once we got there, I remember grampa standing on his dock fishing his hula-poppers. Only thing he'd ever throw, but they always got blasted. He was one with that bait, but he's 97 now and not able to go fishing anymore. Later there were yearly summer trips to rustic cabins on canadian shield lakes to fish, eat, barely sleep, and play cribbage. It won't be long and I'll be trying to restart that tradition with my parents AND my kids.

Not only does my dad fish, but my mom loves to fish (and hunt) too. As I raise two kids I can only hope/wish/pray to have the same patience she did to take 3 boys fishing at once. I remember my wedding day, I snuck out in the morning to catch a few fish. My dad understood, he did the same thing on his wedding day. Its in my blood...

For most it was their dad, for me it was my mother. She grew up fishing farm ponds and rivers around Bushnell, Florida. When she turned 18, she moved to the big city Tampa :lol: and took up saltwater fishing, which she taught me from the time I was old enough to hold a rod. She worked a lot, so when we fished it was "our time", some of my fondest memories as a child was sitting on a seawall talking to her with rod in hand watching the sun drop over the horizon.

God I really miss her.