Boat Shortage

chefchris

I see the breakdown in the global supply chain weekly.  And I love it how I tell my boss every week that we are running out of supplies for the client and he just looks at me like "do whatever to make it happen."  Like...make it happen with what...you dumfukk.  Companies like mines need to stop making false promises that they can deliver when there is a serious global supply chain issue.

My local alumacraft dealer shared as much with me a few days ago when I stopped by for some parts and asked him about his bare showroom. He said he was only getting one boat. I thought he meant for his fall order. And no, he's getting only one boat from alumacraft for 2022. Felt pretty bad for him. I don't think he really knows how many boats he's going to be able to get in anytime between now and next year. Hopefully he's able to make up for it with increased service. 

well striking out again! 

dealer called and they can not get the boat i want and are sending me a full refund of my deposit 

next step is the tracker grizzly 1648, the local BPS had one two weeks ago so just called left a message, called another tracker dealer and they told me maybe a month but will get a real answer tomorrow or monday. have two other dealers to call and see if they can order one. 

never had this many issues trying to spend $$ 

1 hour ago, bigpoppabass said:

You can't go wrong with a grizzly except it might weigh more since they are thick....I am so happy I am not in the market for a new boat. 

well lets hope so, cause this is my last option. Attempt number 3 on ordering a boat! 

Talked with the sales rep today at BPS in MA, signed a purchase agreement and did a deposit, he said right now the trackers are taking 4-12 weeks depending on the build/motor/trailer, but seeing I'm just getting the boat (no motor or trailer) hes thinking it should be like 4-6 weeks. order will be placed tomorrow and should have an eta on Monday. 

was doing more digging around today, the grizzly is 640lbs where the alumacraft is 320 lbs, and thickness is almost double. all the reviews said its a much better boat, which i already knew. 

the grizzly also has a bigger deck, TM platform molded in, versatrack, tie downs, side panels and a full floor. seat pedestal mounts, tie downs, front storage, so even though the boat was $2K more than the alumacraft it will require almost no build out. essentially run the power wires, bilge, mount the TM and fish finder and some nav and interior lights and should be good to go. 

I dont plan on going crazy with storage/build out, not the first season anyway, i know what i need based on the crawdads and fishing my buddies tracker 175tw, so ill base my build needs using the knowledge and redesign as needed before doing a crazy build out. 

will still be going with a 9.9 to make the boat the most useful in RI & MA/CT. 

fingers crossed again! 

1-forrest_green.jpg

2-forrest_green.jpg

I work at a small marina in NC, we don’t really deal with bass boats but we’re a Godfrey and Starcraft dealer, mostly deck boats and pontoons...we typically do orders during the winter months and boats arrive April-June, we sold 17 this year and 15 came in, one is now supposed to arrive August 30th and the last one they canceled the order on us, so now we have to refund the customer for a boat he ordered and paid for back in February.

We’re a package dealer so we cannot order loose engines direct from the factory but we have a couple of customers currently wanting to repower and we’re being told a minimum 6 month wait on a new Yamaha and Mercury is running 12-14 months out right now

7 hours ago, chefchris said:

well lets hope so, cause this is my last option. Attempt number 3 on ordering a boat! 

Talked with the sales rep today at BPS in MA, signed a purchase agreement and did a deposit, he said right now the trackers are taking 4-12 weeks depending on the build/motor/trailer, but seeing I'm just getting the boat (no motor or trailer) hes thinking it should be like 4-6 weeks. order will be placed tomorrow and should have an eta on Monday. 

was doing more digging around today, the grizzly is 640lbs where the alumacraft is 320 lbs, and thickness is almost double. all the reviews said its a much better boat, which i already knew. 

the grizzly also has a bigger deck, TM platform molded in, versatrack, tie downs, side panels and a full floor. seat pedestal mounts, tie downs, front storage, so even though the boat was $2K more than the alumacraft it will require almost no build out. essentially run the power wires, bilge, mount the TM and fish finder and some nav and interior lights and should be good to go. 

I dont plan on going crazy with storage/build out, not the first season anyway, i know what i need based on the crawdads and fishing my buddies tracker 175tw, so ill base my build needs using the knowledge and redesign as needed before doing a crazy build out. 

will still be going with a 9.9 to make the boat the most useful in RI & MA/CT. 

fingers crossed again! 

1-forrest_green.jpg

2-forrest_green.jpg

Yeah they make em tougher and thicker because they market em primarily for duck hunters who run into all kinds of stuff getting to their stands. Also to shoot comfortably from it. 

10 hours ago, bigpoppabass said:

Yeah they make em tougher and thicker because they market em primarily for duck hunters who run into all kinds of stuff getting to their stands. Also to shoot comfortably from it. 

Yup. Which is most of the reviews are from duck hunters. Fingers crossed it actually happens! 

Well order has been confirmed at the store and the factory. Guy told me 10 weeks and could be sooner seeing its just the boat, either way is fine, just need it to show up. 

only issue I’ve seen/read about was wiring of the boat, seeing its foam filled/finished floor and side panels a lot of guys have issues running the wires, one video they ran them thru center drain channel so we’ll see once it gets here. 

I got a bit lucky. I brought the old bass boat in to have a torsion axle replaced, they said 8 to 12 weeks just to have the axle made. The service manager was running a  demo boat that he knew I looking at the same modal last year. He told me it would be available in September. Surprisingly I got a text saying the boat is mine if I wanted it and they gave me a good trade in on my ageing rig. It is a big downgrade from the 2O” sled. But I was thinking to downsizing  for a couple of year. I bought  the 2021 Starcraft 16’ tiller with a 70 horse tiller. My first boat 31 years ago was a 18’ Starcraft with a 75 horse tiller so it kinda of a full circle.  This all being said, this dealer is a Skeeter, Warrior, Starcraft, and War Eafle dealer. They had only 2 Skeeter walleye boats on the floor that I believe were pre sold. It is very sad to see. 

D4DED658-F1B8-4578-84E3-EA554589A1B4.jpeg

• 1 month later...

well after 9 weeks of waiting the boat arrived at BPS on Monday. 

went today and signed the rest of the paperwork and paid it off. 

Taking delivery on Nov 11, cause I'll be away next week for work. 

Boat is super nice and crazy how much bigger/wider it is than my crawdad! will be a nice improvement especially on the bigger bodies of water 

Tracker made some upgrades to the drainage system on the deck which is nice and abig improvement over last years version, they also made the floor panel rivets able to be drilled out to run wires instead of having to run everything down the main center channel thats like 1" square. 

The rep also mentioned that boats are now taking 12 weeks to 6 months, the longer build times are on the pontoon boats. 

it’s now a shortage/delay caused by some of the finish parts on the parts, windscreens, wiring, trim panels etc. 

if you’re in the market for next season, act now! 

044949A9-92EB-48EB-B3B0-AC2537F6314E.jpeg

51428519-52EC-4A19-8F5F-669D17DFA0DA.jpeg

C6B4EF36-8DD9-4BEA-B29C-43B74180FD4D.jpeg

549FD2EA-DF7C-44B6-9F0D-EF7E8B2569A5.jpeg

A71430CA-0587-400D-89BA-F2DFC6453C47.jpeg

5 hours ago, chefchris said:

The rep also mentioned that boats are now taking 12 weeks to 6 months, the longer build times are on the pontoon boats. 

it’s now a shortage/delay caused by some of the finish parts on the parts, windscreens, wiring, trim panels etc. 

if you’re in the market for next season, act now! 

044949A9-92EB-48EB-B3B0-AC2537F6314E.jpeg

51428519-52EC-4A19-8F5F-669D17DFA0DA.jpeg

C6B4EF36-8DD9-4BEA-B29C-43B74180FD4D.jpeg

549FD2EA-DF7C-44B6-9F0D-EF7E8B2569A5.jpeg

A71430CA-0587-400D-89BA-F2DFC6453C47.jpeg

That thing is sweet!

Yea it’s ish show and only getting worse for sure. I got lucky and saw this coming. Threw my little build together a few months ago before it got too crazy. Only thing I had to wait on was my 9.8hp tohatsu outboard but that was only two weeks. They are like unicorns now. 

A003394C-ACC6-4FA9-BE60-6A4795DF7E19.jpeg

D19D0657-B651-4AE9-AE2B-8C67C6F3472C.jpeg

8F132F93-2D38-48DF-BFC3-055CC6DFC410.jpeg

1D192E2B-36AA-42FF-B1B2-8B75DC4CFB80.jpeg