Braid/leader?

SethB

So you guys using the braid and floro. or mono. leader, Do you still use the leader when night fishing? And how often do you retie the braid to leader knot?

Well... I have been using braid to throw a lot of baits this past year and like it. If im fishing at night Ill tie a leader for abrasion resistance. I start out with a leader around 10ft and I may retie once in a day. But i have tied the knot i use (Bob sands knot) so many times i can tie it real fast and i have no problems with it.

Listen, I'm a braid addict. I started using it when I did a lot of surf fishing for stripers and fell in love with the sensitivity and zero stretch. I did use a length of flouro when doing so but only to negate some of the negative aspects of the zero-stretch combined with trebles and to possibly help me with any visibility issues.

However, the only time I use braid when swimbait fishing is when I'm flipping mission fish or if I'm throwing small(er) topwaters (baby wakes / floating FS shads) into areas where snagging is an issue. (ie brush and spadderdock fields) In both of these instances I tie direct.

Otherwise it is all mono all the time. ...Cause it only takes one bad cast breakoff (due to zero-stretch + backlash) in the dark when you're fishing from the bank to change your ways.

• 2 weeks later...

Fishing rocky lakes like clear lake you have to keep your leader on because braid is damaged in rocks much easier than floro. Plus in order to keep things consistent I always keep a leader on. I will definetly let it run shorter into the night though. Seth, you must really have spring fever because I know you aren't going night fishing soon!! Who knows, maybe we should try our pond!