PB Smallie on a new body of water

Caldeltarat

Being from California and being raised on the delta and clearlake I've never really targeted smallmouth very often except for on the Sacramento river at times. My pb smallie was the only one I've never caught that was "keeper" sized and it was at most a pound. With all that said I had always had a respect for them and wanted to at least catch a respectable sized one. Coming into this weekend I had NO idea I would catch one let alone break that pb. The fight and landing that fish was all I dreamt it to be and it's probably my favorite catch in the past 6-7 years.

PXL_20210815_122939374.jpg

PXL_20210815_123229219.jpg

PXL_20210815_123329955.jpg

25 minutes ago, JustBassinAround916 said:

Hell yeah man! I feel yah on the smallies out here, my biggest was a "keeper" size too that i randomly caught on a ned rig lol

Yea man it's been a long struggle lol mine was caught when I was about 11 or 12 throwing a curly tail crappie jig lol

• 1 month later...

That's a quality smallmouth right there. Congratulations.

I love fishing for largemouth, but pound for pound a smallmouth  is a hard fighting fish with no desire to slow down. They will get you chasing that fight over and over. Especially a large one like your new PB.

20 hours ago, Caldeltarat said:

Yea man I have one smallie lake near me and it costs an extra $20 to fish the lake not counting the $30 boat fee, so I don't go lol

Lots of NorCal lakes with smallies! My favorite freshwater species of bass to catch, pulled some toads out of Berrry last year.