What size dobyns rod?

professorbass

Hey guys so I have been throwing swimbaits for about 3 months now and I have really fell in love with it. I started out with smaller stuff but now I am growing into the medium size baits. My first rod was a dobyns 795 champion. I really like this rod a ton but ive noticed that once I get over 2.25 oz it does not throw as well. Once I hit that threshold I feel like it does not throw very far, accuracy and comfort decrease significantly. The best way I can describe it is the light stuff it launches and "heavier" baits it tosses if that makes any sense lol.

The baits I throw:

savage gear slide swimmer 6.5 inches 1.75oz 

mag draft freestyle 6 inch 2oz rigged

whopper plopper size 130 around 2 oz

fish lab bio gill 5.5 inch 1.75oz

13 fishing glidesdale 2.5oz

Cheap rat lure...2.5 oz

The baits I want to throw

Deps 175 3oz (just got this bait and I dont like throwing it on the 795)

Drt Tk 2oz

Evergreen bream slide 3 oz

Savage Gear 3D trout7 inch 2.66 oz

Savage Gear slide swimmer 8 inch 3 oz

fish lab glide 3oz

I fish both on the bank and in my kayak. Ideally I would like a rod that can do both lighter and "heavier" stuff that way I dont have to carry two rods when bank fishing. I saw another post about this with a similar question but I throw lighter stuff than that guy does. I am stuck between the 806 which i think has too much overlap with the 795 and would put me in the same boat im in right now, the 807 mag, or the 867 mag.

Thanks in advance for the help.

22 minutes ago, professorbass said:

Hey guys so I have been throwing swimbaits for about 3 months now and I have really fell in love with it. I started out with smaller stuff but now I am growing into the medium size baits. My first rod was a dobyns 795 champion. I really like this rod a ton but ive noticed that once I get over 2.25 oz it does not throw as well. Once I hit that threshold I feel like it does not throw very far, accuracy and comfort decrease significantly. The best way I can describe it is the light stuff it launches and "heavier" baits it tosses if that makes any sense lol.

The baits I throw:

savage gear slide swimmer 6.5 inches 1.75oz 

mag draft freestyle 6 inch 2oz rigged

whopper plopper size 130 around 2 oz

fish lab bio gill 5.5 inch 1.75oz

13 fishing glidesdale 2.5oz

Cheap rat lure...2.5 oz

The baits I want to throw

Deps 175 3oz (just got this bait and I dont like throwing it on the 795)

Drt Tk 2oz

Evergreen bream slide 3 oz

Savage Gear 3D trout7 inch 2.66 oz

Savage Gear slide swimmer 8 inch 3 oz

fish lab glide 3oz

I fish both on the bank and in my kayak. Ideally I would like a rod that can do both lighter and "heavier" stuff that way I dont have to carry two rods when bank fishing. I saw another post about this with a similar question but I throw lighter stuff than that guy does. I am stuck between the 806 which i think has too much overlap with the 795 and would put me in the same boat im in right now, the 807 mag, or the 867 mag.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I've had both the 867, 807, and have used an 806. I can say that If I were you I'd get an 807 or an 806 depending on how stiff of a rod you want. The 807 will allow you to set the hook like a train but might not load as well with your baits, whereas the 806 is a bit softer overall but has a similar fast action. I think that based on your list of baits you should probably go with the 806 simply because it will load better with the weights that you have hence giving you better casting distance and you probably won't be running huge hooks on those baits anyways. In my opinion you can't go wrong with a dobyns rod, it should serve you well. If you ever get into the bigger stuff buy an 867, it's a bit on the softer side, but will cast whatever bait over 4 oz you want to infinity. Good luck

2 minutes ago, Morgan Y said:

I've had both the 867, 807, and have used an 806. I can say that If I were you I'd get an 807 or an 806 depending on how stiff of a rod you want. The 807 will allow you to set the hook like a train but might not load as well with your baits, whereas the 806 is a bit softer overall but has a similar fast action. I think that based on your list of baits you should probably go with the 806 simply because it will load better with the weights that you have hence giving you better casting distance and you probably won't be running huge hooks on those baits anyways. In my opinion you can't go wrong with a dobyns rod, it should serve you well. If you ever get into the bigger stuff buy an 867, it's a bit on the softer side, but will cast whatever bait over 4 oz you want to infinity. Good luck

I actually like it when the rod doesn't load up a ton I feel like I can cast further, better accuracy and it just feels better to me. I think thats why I like throwing stuff on the lower end of the 795. Thanks for the insight man!!

I’ve got an 806, an 867 and a 908. The 806 is pushing it’s limit at 4.8 - 4.9oz. Like really pushing it. I throw a lot of the same baits on my 806 that I also throw on the 867. But those baits are in the 4oz range. I’d say if you plan on staying at or just a touch over the 4oz range max , the 806 is a great rod. But I have to whip it pretty hard to cast a 6” HPH. So it’s not ideal for anything lighter than that. Can't remember what that weighs. But I can weigh one if you’d like. 

9 minutes ago, SVT THUNDER said:

I’ve got an 806, an 867 and a 908. The 806 is pushing it’s limit at 4.8 - 4.9oz. Like really pushing it. I throw a lot of the same baits on my 806 that I also throw on the 867. But those baits are in the 4oz range. I’d say if you plan on staying at or just a touch over the 4oz range max , the 806 is a great rod. But I have to whip it pretty hard to cast a 6” HPH. So it’s not ideal for anything lighter than that. Can't remember what that weighs. But I can weigh one if you’d like. 

Thanks for your insight man. I think im going to go with the 807 because I like a little stiffer rod and I would like to be able to have a little wiggle room for throwing bigger baits too.

Are you set on getting another Dobyns or would other brands do. 

‘’Also, it’s not a bad idea to have 2 rods in the yak ( if you have room ) incase you have a reel issue and also you can have them set up with different type of baits to see what the fish want and switch out quickly. 

‘’For bank fishing I like to use just one rod for simplicity and to cover ground faster so before I leave I select the baits I want to fish and then pick the appropriate set up. 

1 hour ago, Jim137a said:

Are you set on getting another Dobyns or would other brands do. 

‘’Also, it’s not a bad idea to have 2 rods in the yak ( if you have room ) incase you have a reel issue and also you can have them set up with different type of baits to see what the fish want and switch out quickly. 

‘’For bank fishing I like to use just one rod for simplicity and to cover ground faster so before I leave I select the baits I want to fish and then pick the appropriate set up. 

Man honestly I have been using dobyns and really like their rods. I have their sierra micro guides and love them. What brand where you thinking?

Yea man I for sure want two maybe three rods in the yak. 

I just picked a MegaBass TS destroyer black jack and it has a pretty broad range. 

ive thrown plopper as 130 on it up 4 ounce rats and it def handle more. 

not a cheap rod but life is short. 

i also have an 867 and if u can deal with the length for transport and tight bank fishing situations it’s fairly versatile. 

Edited by Jim137a

3 minutes ago, Jim137a said:

I just picked a MegaBass TS destroyer black jack and it has a pretty broad range. 

ive thrown plopper as 130 on it up 4 ounce rats and it def handle more. 

not a cheap rod but life is short. 

Yaaaaaaaaa that’s out of the budget lol

22 minutes ago, rwp said:

I would get an 806 over 807. The 806 is the ideal 1-3.5oz treble hook rod.

Dobyns over rates the hell out of their rods, that's probably why you like the low end of your 795.

Does the 807 have a stiffer tip thats more fit for single hook soft baits?