Choked!

porkmeatballs

My brother and I decided to hit the water this weekend, and I'm sure glad that we did! The day started off pretty slow for me, with only a few bites and one dink. I threw a wide variety of baits, but couldn't seem to figure anything out. Finally, I was burning in my Bravo Trout and got a 5-6 lb stripe to flash on it. I continued to bomb my glide around and experimented with all the different retrieves that I could think of. I got a school of about seven or so smaller stripers as well as a few bass to follow, but no hits. I was working my bait back with quick reel chops when two of the biggest stripers I had ever seen in person (I'd say 30lbs give or take) came out of nowhere and started tracking my bait. One of them slammed my glide, but didn't hook up. Despite me almost getting a heart attack, I continued to bomb that bait out and cover as much water as I could. I finally made the right cast, gave the Bravo a few twitches, and hooked up with this solid striper. Although it wasn't one of the giants that I had seen, it still put up a great fight! This is also the first time that I have had a fish choke a bait this size!IMG_4331.thumb.JPG.bc919bca03031598eec173d054a974e6.JPG

IMG_4334.JPG

11 hours ago, FishDr said:

Nicely done!  That is definitely one choked bait!  Landing a 30+ from a kayak would be an adventure, to say the least!

For sure! Even the 20lber that I got last year was dragging my kayak around! I can't imagine what an even bigger striper could do

17 hours ago, Bassboydave said:

Nice that’s a really good fish. Bet it was crazy having a pair of giant striper track a bait. Congrats 

My heart almost stopped when I saw those fish! Either one of them would've broken my PB easily!

17 hours ago, JacksonF said:

Awesome catch! Those bravos are sick, it must be rewarding to catch such a nice fish on one of your baits. Congrats!

For sure! There's not many things as satisfying as creating a lure and having fish smash it like this!