6" Gill Project

danthefisherman

• 4 months later...

Well folks, the master is very near completion now and I’m beginning my last few rounds of touch up’s and fine sanding before primer. It probably doesn’t look much different from the last update picture, but I’ve reshaped and resanded at least five times since then to make sure I am happy with the profile at all angles. Also carved a new tail and made some hardware adjustments. Opted for making it a smooth-sided resin bait first because I think it will be a very good canvas for detailed paint work, but I’m a sucker for carved scales as well and will probably make that my next project if she swims well.

Here’s a cool picture I took today that shows the wood pattern underneath:

IMG_2857.thumb.jpeg.bb30ba72e2cb2b9f2f15e766df7aa16c.jpeg

Really excited to get this thing swimming and in front of some fish!

36 minutes ago, danthefisherman said:

Well folks, the master is very near completion now and I’m beginning my last few rounds of touch up’s and fine sanding before primer. It probably doesn’t look much different from the last update picture, but I’ve reshaped and resanded at least five times since then to make sure I am happy with the profile at all angles. Also carved a new tail and made some hardware adjustments. Opted for making it a smooth-sided resin bait first because I think it will be a very good canvas for detailed paint work, but I’m a sucker for carved scales as well and will probably make that my next project if she swims well.

Here’s a cool picture I took today that shows the wood pattern underneath:

IMG_2857.thumb.jpeg.bb30ba72e2cb2b9f2f15e766df7aa16c.jpeg

Really excited to get this thing swimming and in front of some fish!

looks great!

• 1 month later...

Thanks all! Here’s some quick swim footage from the other day… I still have some adjusting to do to improve stability of the bait, but already this is very promising results for my first try. Dumped a good fish boatside on my third cast while I was fumbling for my lip gripper.

Edited by danthefisherman