JDM?

Ceaser

Now, I hope no one takes offense to this, but my question is with the fascination with JDM swimbaits. I think they do look really great and are quality products, but id much rather buy OR collect product made my my fellow americans. I understand there is not alot of super fancy crazy baits made in the USA on a large scale, but JDM's do limited releases and people scramble to buy, yet some complain about availabilty of baits that are made here. Now, I dont want people to take this as me hating, I dont care what someone else buys, but Im trying to understand why people freak out about these baits. Ive owned some and they are bad a$$ but I also have baits made in the USA that are better IMO but at least as good in quality and paint. Im trying to avoid naming companys specifically, because everyone has a preference, im just asking a question that I dont understand.

i would say it more of a cult / brand loyalty following. in most cases all japan based companies (generally speaking) play close attention to detail. this breeds a high customer return. just look at toyota for example. however, look at apple too (us based co)... then again its comparing apples to oranges.

either way, the really isnt a rhyme or reason to the 'following'. any bait, by any manufacturer will work if the user knows when and where to use it.

plain and simple, their baits work well right out of the box. this is almost a guarantee to pull in the masses.

This is gonna chap someones ass.

But here goes.

Somewhere in the last few decades the American bass fishing "scene" hit a peak, and for the most part went completely dead it went from originality, creativity, cutting edge implementations to how much for how cheap to sell at bass pro shops. Where I would say the Japanese bass scene continued to progress and still remains on the cutting edge, to them cost isn't as much of a factor as it appears to be here.

You see new baits coming out in Japan all the time, baits designed to fit specific purposes and play on a fishes senses much more than whats coming out in the states. You watch these guys on video and they are pretty dialed, I cant even tell what they are saying but you can get a good feel just by watching if you can relate, and looking for signal words or phrases. Just watch a couple every one will likely touch on a topic that you wont see in a US video.

USDM- wants you to buy things because pros say they are the new hot ish.

JDM- Get out there, and use those baits for exactly what they were designed for in tough conditions and get it done.

FOR ME, they design quality baits, built for the most part to last, with specific traits that apply to fish....and big fish.

In the US its how many can we make for how cheap and how easily is something that is commonplace. And in no way am I just talking swimbaits, theres dudes in this country with great quality control, with great designs that flat catch fish! But as a whole, lets be realistic there is more ish swimbaits than there is good ones if you are to look through these stores (sure plenty are made in China or wherever, so im not singling out the US mass production baits).

But at this day in age Japan has became synonymous with scrutinized designs that work and are quality with dudes who have taken the time to study bass and how they react to various changes in their environment and how they react to different baits.

This is my generalized take, not that there's not great American companies there totally is- Triple trouts, Huddleston, 3:16, among many others.

I'm glad to see people ignoring cultural boundaries in order to catch fish or get baits they want to fish, there has been a lull for a little while now where people seemed to have strayed away from the mental aspects of trophy hunting or fishing in general. I get ish flicked at me on these stone age Oregon forums all the time because all some bass dude stuck in the past thinks the greatest bait of all time is a senko and single tailed grub, and that I'm wrong for choosing something different.

I'm not gonna be the guy preaching how smart bass are, (they aren't), but the conditions and ecological relationships in nature are a force to be reckoned with when trying to become adept in chasing bass, so I'm all for the cutting edge baits and dont mind paying the extra money for something that works, is durable, and is designed for a purpose as specific as it might be.

Had a nice long reply typed up, but Colby said it better than I ever could have. Well done Colby, agreed 100% :D

I will add:

For me, my family is 50% American/50% Japanese. It's not about who makes the bait to me, it's about if the bait catches fish for me or not. I agree we should all try to help support our American economy if the products are on equal terms, but I see no problem buying JDM, KDM, or WhateverDM if a certain DM catches more fish or fits the way I fish better. Pretty simple, if I think it will catch fish, I will buy it....except if it's made in North Korea :lol::lol:

JDM is awesome. I haven't tried too many JDM swimbaits but have fished a bunch of JDM baits, reels and rods.

There is a lot of attention to small details that you just don't see in USDM baits. A touch of red paint by the front hook, a bit of a bright color up top for better visibility, feathers on the hooks are things you don't see on baits here too often.

They're not shy about colors either. Not only do you have a large variety of different or unusual colors but you can have multiple variations on a popular color. When I first was interested in swimbaiting, most hardbaits came in either dark trout or light trout. In Japan though, they had bass and bluegill colors. I don't really remember too many 9" swimbaits in Japan back then but I probably wasn't looking hard enough.

They're also hard to find and expensive so you know you're throwing something most people can't afford or aren't willing to pay for.

hmm... I see what is being said, but to say american co's dont have specific baits for techniques.. I dont know bout that. 3:16, Hudds, triple trout, ms slammers, rago are kinda big co's that put out very technique specific baits. Then small guys that arent in major production i think far out do JDMS. I think Hiroshima and hinkle swimbaits are the most impressive baits I have seen. Hard to get, but still incredible. And as far as wood swimbaits coming out of japan, they have nice fancy baits, but I havent seen great durability out of any of the finishes. Most fail rather quickly.

I totally see where most guys are coming from and to each his own for sure, but it just doesnt compute for me. There are very nice alternative to most every JDM bait out there. I know Im a weirdo rah rah made in the USA guy, its my choice, and i just make the baits I want, but I have never really asked this question and was wondering others take on it. thanks for everyones response, neat to hear... but you can find me with a box full of handcrafted baits made right here at home. Really I like to buy baits that are made by one guy one at a time with the heart and soul of the maker. Betweem 3:16, myself, slammers, and guys like Brock, Hinkle and Mike P.! I have so many choices for baits I cant throw em all.

I think Hiroshima and hinkle swimbaits are the most impressive baits I have seen. Hard to get, but still incredible.

There are very nice alternative to most every JDM bait out there. I know Im a weirdo rah rah made in the USA guy, its my choice, and i just make the baits I want, but I have never really asked this question and was wondering others take on it. thanks for everyones response, neat to hear... but you can find me with a box full of handcrafted baits made right here at home. Really I like to buy baits that are made by one guy one at a time with the heart and soul of the maker. Betweem 3:16, myself, slammers, and guys like Brock, Hinkle and Mike P.! I have so many choices for baits I cant throw em all.

Wouldn't disagree at all, you're definitely not wrong. That's just my generalized opinion as a whole.

And I believe the super successful baits from Japan are made by guys that are really similar to the dudes you listed. Roman Made, Megabass and Deps seem to have a few apparent masterminds who dedicate themselves to designing and producing baits.

for sure man, same with me, just my generalized opinion. Roman made has brought wood baits back to a place where people love em. Deps, gan craft, evergreen, all really cool baits, and quality. I wouldnt disagree one bit they are bad a$$, I just dont understand the crazyness over em.

for sure man, same with me, just my generalized opinion. Roman made has brought wood baits back to a place where people love em. Deps, gan craft, evergreen, all really cool baits, and quality. I wouldnt disagree one bit they are bad a$$, I just dont understand the crazyness over em.

Im just not catching your drift. With all due respect for your opinion, im not sure there is a "craziness" over the JDM baits. Now on the other hand, there is definitely a craziness over the 3:16 baits, which I totally endear. Hinkle is months out on his bait too, if you plan to order, and he is currently only offering me ONE type of bait. Having the ability/patience/knowledge/time to make your own bait the way you want is a gift. Definitely takes a talent, one many would be jealous of. But as far as craziness over the JDM baits.. I think we should look in our own back yard for craziness. We have all seen the design on the slide swimmer by now. That thing is just a technical marvel in the bait world in my opinion. A soft shell cover, with wings at the joints to promote the glide. Is there anything close to that kind of innovation out west(USA)? They are trailblazers of the bait industry these days.

If anything, the "craziness" is equal between JDM baits, and those USA baits we all covet. My personal position is give me the bait to catch fish. I dont care if its made by the dude down the street or in a factory in Indonesia. It's not like we're trying to rally the nation to purchase all their swimbaits from the USA to help our local government.

Hypothetically speaking..

If someone threw a bunch of baits out on a table and had numbers in lbs of fish youd catch in the future by them, and where the were made, who in their right mind would choose by where it was made? We are all in the pursuit of FISH, and if we think its from a JDM bait, we should fish the heck out of it without hesitation, and visa versa with USA products.

In my opinion, its absurd to even consider where a bait is from BEFORE or AFTER considering will this bait catch the biggest fish of my life.

... you must also consider the fact of the following association. the world record *tie is from japan. the angler that was in pursuit of this record fish was using jdm baits to lure these big fish out. however, it was not a jdm bait that caught the record fish.

... you must also consider the fact of the following association. the world record *tie is from japan. the angler that was in pursuit of this record fish was using jdm baits to lure these big fish out. however, it was not a jdm bait that caught the record fish.

what bait did he get that world record fish on?

what bait did he get that world record fish on?

Live bluegill. :oops:

Ive been throwing a jointed craw a long time on the hush, way before the slide swimmer became so popular. These are a great bait that has been loading the boat for years but arent being gobbled up. And laying baits out with the place origin and total weight u will catch? I think that depends on the fisherman, theres no magic bait thAt ive found.

Crazy or not, if there was a BBZ and a rago it ripped on a table, reguardless of how much weight the bbz would catch id never throw it. Just wont do that. So to me, where or how something is made, or even who makes it definitely effects my decision. I like warm socks but im not gonna club a baby seal to get some lmao. Anyways, i dont think anyones crazy so to speak, but there is some crazyness over new jdm baits when they drop. Not that i dont agree that they are really cool baits, and dont care if someone is into them or not, i was just asking for others insight as i dont have that jdm fever. Id rather grind it out with a profumo custom glide, glideator, or some of my baits then a slide swimmer. But i can admit this may not be the best decision to load the boat with fish, its just how i roll. Same reason i dont throw a drop shot, its not my preference. It may be killin em, but its not how i roll. Hope no one thinks i am judging or talkin ish cuz they get their JDM on, get those baits and slay some hogs, ill cheer the whole time, its just not how i do it so Im asking my su family to clue me in