dobyns guide quality/bendy guides

Jiffysand

Question for those that own both champs and furys. I have a 806 fury and I swear the guides are made of bend-esium. Are the guides on the champ significantly more rigid? I'm looking to acquire a rod to cover my 2-4 oz ish trebble hook baits (mainly wakes that has stronger guides and is somewhere around the $200 mark. guide strength is one of the biggest factors for me because I'm not rough on my rods and I swear if I so much look at the fury funny the guides bend.

Guides being flimsy has never been an issue with me on any of my Dobyns Champions... I've never owned a fury.  I did have a big problem with the guide inserts cracking out on the 2015-2016 Models (Right before the XP).  I think the Champion 795 is one of the best rods in that lineup, I 10/10 recommend getting it.  I've had the same one since 2013 and its going strong.

Yeah the Fury guides are super bendy--I've got the 795 and 806 and that's the case on both if em. It hasn't been problematic yet (two seasons fished), and since I'd never heard anyone complain about em I figured it was standard.

Also, "bend-esium"

Screenshot_20200119-082458(1).png

The champ xp uses Fuji k guides which are not bendy in my opinion I'd go with the levante Leviathan at your price point ofb200 but if you have the funds the xp 806 is a much better trebble hook rod especially for wakes and crankdowns just my opinion 

Dobyns Fury rods have quite durable guides in my experience, at least on the jig rods. The only thing is that sometimes the epoxy breaks loose and the guide can wiggle a bit, but it's not bad. As far as champion XP guides, the older model kegan guides are straight garbage, although the newer fuji Ks are rock solid. They are really quite durable rods as a whole.

2 hours ago, 168 Rookie said:

Yeah the Fury guides are super bendy--I've got the 795 and 806 and that's the case on both if em. It hasn't been problematic yet (two seasons fished), and since I'd never heard anyone complain about em I figured it was standard.

Also, "bend-esium"

Screenshot_20200119-082458(1).png

1 hour ago, Morgan Y said:

Dobyns Fury rods have quite durable guides in my experience, at least on the jig rods. The only thing is that sometimes the epoxy breaks loose and the guide can wiggle a bit, but it's not bad. As far as champion XP guides, the older model kegan guides are straight garbage, although the newer fuji Ks are rock solid. They are really quite durable rods as a whole.

Ive actually had a few guides break on my 704 fury in the past. Good to hear the fugi k guides are solid. I’m either going to redo the guides in my down time this winter with something tougher or take the easy way out and sell it and buy something sturdier like a 806 champ

1 hour ago, Mml420 said:

The champ xp uses Fuji k guides which are not bendy in my opinion I'd go with the levante Leviathan at your price point ofb200 but if you have the funds the xp 806 is a much better trebble hook rod especially for wakes and crankdowns just my opinion 

Sounds like the levante is more of a jig hook rod? I was planning on waiting for a 25% off sale for the dobyns if i go that route

29 minutes ago, Jiffysand said:

Sounds like the levante is more of a jig hook rod? I was planning on waiting for a 25% off sale for the dobyns if i go that route

Once you get into the champ xp range the rods really take a steep hike in quality, I would get the dobyns for swimbaiting because they have the best actions. Everything is more durable. I have a champion extreme 746 flipping rod that can throw 2 or 3 oz baits easily, and I normally use it for frogs, the rod is insanely durable.

8 minutes ago, SumoNinja said:

I had a fury 806 for 3 yrs and had no issues. I only sold it because a friend sold me an xp 806 for cheap so I didn't need the fury anymore 

How does the fury 806 compare to the champ in terms of action and weight it can throw

4 hours ago, Jiffysand said:

How does the fury 806 compare to the champ in terms of action and weight it can throw

From what I remember, the fury was a tad stiffer. Xp has a little softer tip. But both served me well; hooksets and keeping them pinned....they handled about the same baits. 1 to 4 oz 

A huge difference in rods is when u have a fury 795 and xp 795. Specs are the same on paper but 2 totally different rods. I did not like the fury 795. Was too soft for me. Upgraded to an xp 795 and love it 

Before I started throwing XP’s, I bought a Fury 806 about 3 years ago. Ironically, I have stepped on that rod more times than I can count and just noticed this year one guide had been a bit twisted from one of those steps. I couldn’t bend the thing back straight with my hands. Caught many bass with it that way since and zero issues. It’s been a great 2-4.5 oz treble bait rod for me. So I haven’t had the need go upgrade to an XP in the 806. I’m sure I will eventually simply because I love that longer handle on my other XP rods (867, 908). They really help take the pain away from my bum shoulder.