OG Baitsmith mag vs New Hawghunter mag

Morgan Y

So I’ve heard that the OG mags are better than the newer ones although I don’t know if it is true, I’d like to think that it is being that I just got an OG mag. I feel that the older paint jobs are better, and maybe the plastic is better. Is it true that the foam harnesses have a tendency to fall apart in the old ones and if so how much does it take to break one? Also is there a significant difference between the new tails with the cut outs and the old tails which are essentially the same as the huddlestons? Either way I feel that the mags are better looking baits than the huddlestons, but I have yet to tell if they will work more effectively. 44C3AE08-3A3A-41D9-8C5F-6A371962A649.thumb.jpeg.5ab88c55197add23683fa58fe6feed0a.jpeg

just for kicks this is the new mag that I got, it’s never been used but is a rainbow trout color with a very prominent red lateral line and darker coloring which I am a huge fan of. I think that it looks sick. This is an OG for reference. 

I cant beleive the amount of oil that accumulated in my mag box, my extra mags were put away in the original plastic packaging and stored in a large plano. The baits that i fished were never put back into the plastic and didnt have any of the oil issues, they just got a little gummy feeling, i wonder if the new mags will do this with prolonged storage.

3 hours ago, gettnbit said:

I cant beleive the amount of oil that accumulated in my mag box, my extra mags were put away in the original plastic packaging and stored in a large plano. The baits that i fished were never put back into the plastic and didnt have any of the oil issues, they just got a little gummy feeling, i wonder if the new mags will do this with prolonged storage.

I noticed some gummy stuff on the bait, but I can rub it off. I’m storing it out in the open air just hanging. 

I have never had an OG so I can’t help with comparing the two, but I picked up a couple of the new style and have spent two days committed to them. They look awesome to me, but so far my partner has definitely had more bites throwing an 8” hudd even though I was running the boat and he was fishing behind me.

I only caught one on it my first trip but it did weigh 7-9 so it was a quality fish, had one more 4 pound class fish hit but not get the hook (wasn’t running a stinger), the next trip I threw it all day and only had one bite, a 7 or 8 pounder nipped at it right underneath the boat but didn’t eat it, but the last hour or so I switched to a hudd and had multiple bites and caught a 4 pound spotted bass on it.

The plastic seems stiffer than a hudd so maybe they perform better at different water temps than a hudd? it’s really not that much bigger so it would surprise if that was the reason but who knows. I just got some single strand wire to rig some stingers and I’m going to keep experimenting with it to see if it will pick up some bigger bites.

1 minute ago, 119bowhunter said:

I have never had an OG so I can’t help with comparing the two, but I picked up a couple of the new style and have spent two days committed to them. They look awesome to me, but so far my partner has definitely had more bites throwing an 8” hudd even though I was running the boat and he was fishing behind me.

I only caught one on it my first trip but it did weigh 7-9 so it was a quality fish, had one more 4 pound class fish hit but not get the hook (wasn’t running a stinger), the next trip I threw it all day and only had one bite, a 7 or 8 pounder nipped at it right underneath the boat but didn’t eat it, but the last hour or so I switched to a hudd and had multiple bites and caught a 4 pound spotted bass on it.

The plastic seems stiffer than a hudd so maybe they perform better at different water temps than a hudd? it’s really not that much bigger so it would surprise if that was the reason but who knows. I just got some single strand wire to rig some stingers and I’m going to keep experimenting with it to see if it will pick up some bigger bites.

Very interesting, it must be the plastic and how it reacts to different temperatures. Can’t think of what else it would be. 

7 minutes ago, Morgan Y said:

Very interesting, it must be the plastic and how it reacts to different temperatures. Can’t think of what else it would be. 

Curious to hear what others say about boiling the tails too, I fished mine straight out of the pack but I’m up for experimenting

Better is subjective. I've fished the og mags for awhile now. My opinion on og vs new. New ones have a softer plastic and the paint seems to holds up better. OG has slightly harder plastic but you can boil. They have known issues of the harness breaking but I recall it was from batches during circa 2015. He has since fixed the issue however it's probably impossible to tell which batch an og is from unless you have one with the white plastic. I've caught DD bass on harness rigged treble no issues though I have broken harnesses before. Both tail swim is very similar.  Best thing I think about the og is that it is easily tunable. I'm not sure if the new ones are tunable since the harness has changed. Still fish my ogs so I haven't played around with them but I'm sure there's a way if you tinker a bit.

In my waters the mag generally gets less bites but when u do its usually a bigger fish 5+ lbs. Hudds will usually catch the smaller fish 3+ lbs but it will also catch giants. Maybe it's because they've seen a hudd more time than a mag or maybe it's the slightly smaller profile? You'll have to experiment on your waters. 

OG Mag with white plastic.

InShot_20180610_130947119.jpg

13 hours ago, stkbass said:

Better is subjective. I've fished the og mags for awhile now. My opinion on og vs new. New ones have a softer plastic and the paint seems to holds up better. OG has slightly harder plastic but you can boil. They have known issues of the harness breaking but I recall it was from batches during circa 2015. He has since fixed the issue however it's probably impossible to tell which batch an og is from unless you have one with the white plastic. I've caught DD bass on harness rigged treble no issues though I have broken harnesses before. Both tail swim is very similar.  Best thing I think about the og is that it is easily tunable. I'm not sure if the new ones are tunable since the harness has changed. Still fish my ogs so I haven't played around with them but I'm sure there's a way if you tinker a bit.

In my waters the mag generally gets less bites but when u do its usually a bigger fish 5+ lbs. Hudds will usually catch the smaller fish 3+ lbs but it will also catch giants. Maybe it's because they've seen a hudd more time than a mag or maybe it's the slightly smaller profile? You'll have to experiment on your waters. 

OG Mag with white plastic.

InShot_20180610_130947119.jpg

This is some awesome info. From the sounds of it I think that it would make more sense to tie a stinger from the jig hook in order to avoid the harness issues. The guy I got it from bought it a ways back so I have no idea if it is a bait from before 2015. As far as boiling I think that I’ll go ahead and do it, I always feel like boiling makes them much more active in the water. I got this mag in particular because of the paint scheme on it, I think that it is an incredible pattern and that the red will probably be beneficial. 

On 1/8/2022 at 4:45 PM, Morgan Y said:

Additionally do you guys think that mags are the kinds of baits that benefit from boiling the tail? I kind of feel like the hard kick that they have is because of the stiffer plastic. 

I’ve never boiled a mag but I’m sure it would work, I just think boiling baits is counterproductive. My theory is that less=more. But hey-that’s just me and the waters I fish…..

8 hours ago, DrewManFishing said:

I’ve never boiled a mag but I’m sure it would work, I just think boiling baits is counterproductive. My theory is that less=more. But hey-that’s just me and the waters I fish…..

I could certainly see why less is more. I just think that even the slightest bit of movement would be beneficial because it would put vibrations into the water that might tell a fish that your bait is "alive". I feel that what is important with these baits is that they shake on the slightest bump of anything, whether that be a rock, a twig, or pebbles.