DS Customs BFG

chefchris

* Not a paid/sponsored review * Just like to make that clear going forward. 

DS Customs BFG (Big F###n Gill) 

The BFG is a 3 piece resin bait, that weighs in at 7.5oz and measuring 9" long. It has a relatively narrow width and profile. I picked up my first one which happened to be a Click Bait painted version in late August 2021. Retail direct from DS is $225, I believe the Click Bait versions ran $240-250 

I went a test swam the bait during the day, and it swims very easily, not a lot of drag, has a great head hunting movement and very fluid without it being too snake like. On the pause the head will hunting to hunt back and forth and that has triggered some aggressive strikes. you can walk it easily and it throws a lot of water, without a lot of forward movement. It also swims at the slowest speed I can crank the reel or as fast as I can burn it. 

I'm throwing it on the Nameless 808/868 (4-15oz rating) paired with a Conquest 400, 50lb braid to 30lb mono leader, I can easily bomb that bait overhand, full send without issues or worry. it does splash done pretty aggressively so I try and feather the landing as much as possible unless I'm fishing in choppy/windy conditions. 

My first night fishing the bait was during one of the SU tourneys, was fishing a long stretch of shoreline that is boulder laden. Was swimming the bait in between these two rock points when it got gently hit/slurped, missed the fish, waited a few minutes and fired it back out, making sure to really pay attention as it came thru that section again, this time the fish exploded on it, set the hook and cranked her in, fish went 5Lbs 9oz. Great way to break a bait in! 

I ended up fishing the bait as much as possible when I could and landed me a few other smaller fish (mid 2s & 3s) and another high 4 before my season ended early do to work going to 6 day production. 

I did manage to pick up another Click Bait version from the Black Market and custom request the gill with the orange belly. 

For guys looking for big gill baits like the bubba cracker, pizz beast mode wake and/or the ufo mothership the DS BFG is worth a look, readily available, custom color request and great customer service. I plan on throwing it a lot this season. Thanks for checking it out

-Chef 

BFG1.1.png.3ee283892b2d97cd1e7be6adc4bd4404.pngBFG2.thumb.png.3b4a8351acf53e172ebf1276c16ed6fb.pngBFG3.1.thumb.png.ac6d302103bd7c275e7b7c2a0e6d2b84.pngBFG4.thumb.jpg.5953a67044739eab892e7880c4c2d2e0.jpg

Edited by chefchris
spelling

• chefchris changed the title to DS Customs BFG
6 hours ago, chevro1et said:

This particular bait is beyond the capabilities of my current rod arsenal, but I keep hearing good things about DS baits and have been paying more attention to their products. 

I missed the drop on their 6.5” glides - paint jobs look incredible