Summertime = Topwater Time

flaswimbaiter

I started the morning with an 8†FS trout and caught a really small one and had another blow up. I switched to an 8†weedless Hudd but didn’t even get a look. As soon as I put on my new wood punker (Thanks Brian) I caught one about three pounds. Soon afterwards I found some active mullet and started tossing around them and caught a 31†snook. A few cast later while deadsticking the bait I had a huge blow up, I thought it was a monster fish, but ended up being a little guy with a big attitude.

post-91-14252988823907_thumb.jpg

post-91-14252988824617_thumb.jpg

post-91-14252988825331_thumb.jpg

Nice Snook Dave, how do they fight by the way?

Hard, real hard. Best comparison is a striper (not stripper :D ) that jumps. Look what he did to the hook on the punker.

Ive had some 15 lb stripers go airborn! hooked em up in 2ft of water next to a broken levee and sunken trees and they didnt have anywhere to go. That was an awesome night. Caught em on every cast into the dark until our arms hurt.

Nice punker fish Dave! still looking for some topwater bites on the big baits this year.

Due to a bad fish kill, you are not allowed to keep any on my coast. Most ethical fishermen release them anyways just like bass, because they are more valuable as a sportfish than a food fish. They are great table fare, netters used to sell their fillets as grouper. I has to be ten years since I last ate one.

My grandfather back in the day (in the 90's) used to keep a snook every once in a while and eat them. I don't think I have ever had snook (maybe 20 years ago or so), so I don't know or can't recall on how they taste. I didn't know that snook were a highly sought after sport fish, I thought the Tarpon was the coveted king of saltwater inshore sport fishing?!