Kayak Anchoring Set-ups

Mkel83

I was wondering if some of you kayak guys had any recommendations for anchoring poles or true anchors that you drop in the water. I’ve searched here and found some stuff on YakGadget but couldn’t find any pictures of brackets of set ups used. For reference, I have an Old Town Sportsman 106. I’m a little hesitant to start drilling into a kayak so I wanted to get others’ feedback before I started looking for options. 

When I 1st got my yak I was ready to drop a few bucks on anchoring system and then after yakking for awhile I rarely use my anchor - a 6 # dumbbell and some rope.

If its really windy and I’m getting blown around I just work with the wind.

if you really need an anchor get some type of trolley system so you can adjust your anchoring point based on wind, tide, current etc. 

I guess I’m a little hesitant to anchor up cause a buddy of mine got his anchor hung up in a tidal river and flipped his yak - he didn’t have a trolley system or a knife at the ready to cut the rope.  

@Jim137a I’ve been ‘working with the wind’ for the last 6 years and it’s starting to get old. Especially fishing deeper water, by the time the bait gets to where I want it to be, I’m 30ft off my target line. I’ve been looking at a trolley system and a 5-8lbs mushroom anchor as that seems to be the least intrusive set up. 

I have a Bonafide SS107 and I use tree stakes that I pass through the scupper holes behind the seat of the kayak. They're 8ft long and made out of plastic coated aluminum. I got them from Home Depot in the gardening section for maybe $10 each. If you wanted to make it look cleaner I'm sure you could make a mounting bracket out of PVC off the sides of the kayak to pass the stakes through but for me the scupper holes work just fine. If I'm in deeper water then say 6ft i'll use a mushroom anchor but I do find it annoying drifting and spinning around if you don't have the anchor dropped in the right position.

5 hours ago, AnthonyCatlow said:

I have a Bonafide SS107 and I use tree stakes that I pass through the scupper holes behind the seat…

That’s actually a really good idea. I’m assuming you just mount the pole to the side? 

Putting a stake through your scupper holes is a fast way to crack and sink your kayak. It *seems* like the perfect solution, but it is a recipe for disaster.

get a trolley, and you can either use a stakeout pole through the guide or an anchor attached to a long retractable dog leash with a quick/disconnect carabiner so you can easily disconnect if you get in trouble in current.

I use a clothesline thing from home depot that winds up the anchor line, swapped the clothesline with 50' of Paracord, and have a ~6# anchor on the end. The clothesline mechanism is strapped to a metal bar on my kayak. Works perfectly in lakes and rivers. You don't have to wind the line in and no mess of line on the kayak deck. I can take a picture if interested.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-40-ft-Retractable-Clothesline-72917/206094320?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&pla&mtc=Shopping-CM-F_D29A-G-D29A-Multi-Multi-NA-NA-PLA_LIA-NA-NA-MinorAppl_Special_Buys&cm_mmc=Shopping-CM-F_D29A-G-D29A-Multi-Multi-NA-NA-PLA_LIA-NA-NA-MinorAppl_Special_Buys-71700000042813121-58700005464629311-92700067963002094&gclid=CjwKCAiA9aKQBhBREiwAyGP5lSBuEHo_gpQLz3zTekblZEbNUq4Jk4DTBl6BTGz2X__LbVvPGkFzlBoCXS4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by hydrocephalic

1 hour ago, hydrocephalic said:

I use a clothesline thing from home depot that winds up the anchor line, swapped the clothesline with 50' of Paracord, and have a ~6# anchor on the end. The clothesline mechanism is strapped to a metal bar on my kayak. Works perfectly in lakes and rivers. You don't have to wind the line in and no mess of line on the kayak deck. I can take a picture if interested.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-40-ft-Retractable-Clothesline-72917/206094320?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&pla&mtc=Shopping-CM-F_D29A-G-D29A-Multi-Multi-NA-NA-PLA_LIA-NA-NA-MinorAppl_Special_Buys&cm_mmc=Shopping-CM-F_D29A-G-D29A-Multi-Multi-NA-NA-PLA_LIA-NA-NA-MinorAppl_Special_Buys-71700000042813121-58700005464629311-92700067963002094&gclid=CjwKCAiA9aKQBhBREiwAyGP5lSBuEHo_gpQLz3zTekblZEbNUq4Jk4DTBl6BTGz2X__LbVvPGkFzlBoCXS4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is a great idea...I've seen guys use dive reels, but they pull their anchor all the way up and then have to wind up all the line (you still have to pull the anchor up by hand either way).  Yours solves that entirely, which is awesome.  I've got a ton of unused space on the rails of my Titan and am definitely going to give this a shot.

Similar to hydrocephalic, I use a 30ft Heavy Duty Dog Lease.......unwind about 29ft out, cut it and connect it to Paracord.......with the heavy duty dog leash you can lock your position and release with one hand......and when you unwind it unwinds automatically, leaving no mess in the Yak!!!! 

I have a 12 foot yak attack pole. It worked, until the glue failed and the threaded insert came out.

Crickets from yak attack, great that it has a lifetime warranty.......

Bottom anchors are really dangerous in heavy current, but do ok in the wind.

A spring clamp or a c clamp works great for various types of structure.

7 hours ago, hydrocephalic said:

Yes please. Take a pic if you don’t mind. 

7 hours ago, hydrocephalic said:

Yes please. Take a pic if you don’t mind. 

I use a one of three systems depending on the condition.  1. Stake out pole with a 8' tether clipped to the anchor trolley.  2.  3 lb chain anchor off the stern.  3.  6 lb chain anchor with a quick release that clips to the trolley. 

1 is obviously for shallow anchoring 

2 works in shallow to 15' of water, and pretty well in breezy conditions 

3 works when its windy or when i want to point the bow into the wind to work a spot. 

I like chain over anchors because it's easy to get, not expensive, does good in most bottom conditions and doesn't get hung up as bad as a claw anchor does. 

I use a dive reel that I found on Amazon for cheap. I put para cord to attach to the anchor. Then to make it really comfortable to use I put pullies clipped to the top all the way to the front and back. I did that instead of a trolly system because it gave me more control and there was spots to clip on already. It's nice to change front or back if there is wind or a little current.