Minn Kota Ultrex

BASS_SWINGER

Going to keep this short and to the point.!I feel like I can’t be the only guy who was in the same situation as me wondering about if they should upgrade there trolling motor or if they should upgrade for spot lock. I’m definitely happy with the ultrex you never realize how handy that spot lock feature is until you have it from just the fishing aspect of it to when you need to stop and take a break or retire or whatever it was mmmmm is definitely a game changer and worth the money 

One of the best fishing upgrades ever!

It defintelty played a key role in landing my PB fish. I was fishing offshore island tops during a nasty storm. I positioned the boat up wind and hit the spot lock. Once the boat settled in, I went to the stern of the boat and made along cast out the back and over the island. Long story short I got bit by a 9.75 on the mag and landed it solo. All this happened in 20mph winds and 2-3ft rollers. No way I could of kept the boat positioned correctly without the spotlock.

I also love the cruise control feature. Set the heading and speed and let her go. I'll retie, eat a snack or lay down for a few mins between spots.

I heard the Ultrex is pretty noisy, I haven't had the chance to be in a boat with ultrex. I have seen a Lowrance ghost and the prop is very stealth (the ghost also costs 1k more)

Anyone have any experience with the cheaper spot lock models like the Minn Kota Ulterra or Terranova?

1 hour ago, jmpatacsil said:

I heard the Ultrex is pretty noisy, I haven't had the chance to be in a boat with ultrex. I have seen a Lowrance ghost and the prop is very stealth (the ghost also costs 1k more)

Anyone have any experience with the cheaper spot lock models like the Minn Kota Ulterra or Terranova?

Ive got an ulterra and it is the same price as ultrex. Best investment I ever made for fishing. Never have to touch it except to plug it in. Plus the benefit of freaking people out on the ramp when I launch and deploy motor with remote and drive away. So awesome

Its not very loud at all and nothing beats spot lock

4 hours ago, jmpatacsil said:

Only noise is above the water level of the little power steering feature but in heat at least it doesn’t make a difference compared to a regular cable steered one saw that Matt Alan did some underwater footage or something with a go pro and it didn’t pick up the sound of the power steering he was saying 

2 hours ago, StriperAddict said:

Ive got an ulterra and it is the same price as ultrex. Best investment I ever made for fishing. Never have to touch it except to plug it in. Plus the benefit of freaking people out on the ramp when I launch and deploy motor with remote and drive away. So awesome

Its not very loud at all and nothing beats spot lock

Wish I had an Ulterra for that but I'm happy with my Ultrex. Auto deploy is so cool.

On 2/21/2022 at 12:04 PM, jmpatacsil said:

I have run all three. My favorite is the ultrex because it reacts so quick. That’s definitely help me not bang into shore retrieving baits. That being said I think all three are great options. I run the terrova on my boat and have had no issue in 4 years with it. Only problem with that one is it doesn’t have the fun upgrades the others do. All in all I think any of the trolling motors with the “spot lock” capability are well worth the money. Just pick whichever one talks to your electronics best so you maximize the motors usefulness.

I don't know if you guys have the Ipilot/ilink version but its super useful. I just mark points on my graph and have the ultrex follow the route at a low speed. It's super convenient for covering ground. One of my favorite features.

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/6/2022 at 7:55 PM, CAG said:

I don't know if you guys have the Ipilot/ilink version but its super useful. I just mark points on my graph and have the ultrex follow the route at a low speed. It's super convenient for covering ground. One of my favorite features.

do you need a specific graph to run this feature?

2 hours ago, jmpatacsil said:

do you need a specific graph to run this feature?

Just a humminbird. I don’t know if it requires any specific gen but I have gen 2 helix and gen 2 or 1 Solix.

All I’m saying is I never had to carry around a bag of “oh $hit it broke” parts for my Terrova.

Terrova with the link has pretty much all the usable features of the Ultrex.

If I used it in a lake the Ultrex would probably be great. They don’t stand up to river abuse.

Ultrex is the BMW that needs to be babied, Terrova is the 4x4.

I’ll be putting a Terrova on my next rig, but I will miss the cable steer.

Edited by browniez