I need a push!

BPayne

Alright guys, I’m starting to think I may need a push to get me moving in the right direction.  I’ve been throwing all my stuff on 25 lb Maxima Ultragreen Mono since I first got my big bait setup.  I knew at the time that it wouldn’t be allowing my baits to achieve their full potential, but I considered it insurance to help prevent losing baits (and I haven’t lost one yet *knock on wood*).  At the time I started, I was worried about losing $50+/- baits…now, I’ve got a few $200+ baits and the fear of losing one is real.  I’ve come to the conclusion that I may be hitting a performance barrier because of my line (and probably my rod as well, but first thing’s first! lol).  I know from my traditional tackle days that straight fluorocarbon and I do NOT get on well, so that is off the table.  I do have confidence in straight co-poly, but I’m leaning towards heavy braid to mono leader.  I run a lot of braid to leader on conventional, but I’m absolutely terrified of that dreaded “dig-in” with a heavy-ish bait and watching it make its way into orbit (I had this happen a long time ago with a Hudd on straight braid making an overhand cast on a frogging rod….I know, don’t ask).  I have 1 setup for big baits (Conquest 400 on Dobyns 867).  I use that to throw everything from G2 Shellcrackers to 11” BullShads and everything in between.  So given my situation, and my fear, I need a push…reassurance or even tough love to get me to take that leap so I can move forward.  

First off brother if your on top use straight braid if not use sunline #20 fc sniper I to struggled with that but with braid here lies a problem braid will wrap around itself if more than 80 yards on spool then mid cast it will stop mid flight and your bait will fly off and be gone forever trust me lost a few 200 dollar baits but its just a bait it sucks bad but thats part of the game flouro is so much better memory is great and helps hold bait under if tied correctly you will never break off when tying make sure to never cross line I use a palomer knot for all my big baits mono floats has horrible memory straight braid is great for top another good flouro is pline halo I thought braid was the way but was wrong give the flouro a try you will be glad you did hope this helps this is just what I do brother really was scared like you but had to do something after losing 2 250s a 9 inch battleshad  and k9 all during mid cast not a backlash a wrap around Cheers!! :))

P Line CXX 20# moss green. 25# for anything above 8oz. I have always tied a Palomar knot and as mentioned above, don’t let the line cross. I also run the doubled line through my mouth before tying and again before clenching down the knot. Always wet. I throw with 100% confidence simply because it’s that strong. 

You are going to get way to many opinions to your questions, one may not be better then the other so you will need to figure what is best for you and your style of fishing on your own.

You mentioned floura and I also hated it but tried Seagaur Tasu and love it. Do I use it all the time and on all my rods, no but it has its place for curtain times and baits.

I also use Pline original PF and Sunline FX braid. In different lb test from 15 to 65 depending on bait.

All lines go straight to the baits and have their purpose making the baitsa do what I need them to do.

If you are afraid to lose your baits then don't fish them and place them on the shelf like 90% of the members on here.

People should only buy baits that they can afford to use and still pay their bills, and feed their family. Why pay 10 high end baits to only sell then when your cat is sick and you have to take it to the vet.

You will lose baits, that is a fact. I lose 3 high end baits in one day, yup it sucked bad, but tie on other and kept fishing.

So tie them on and send it.

Consider it gone, baits are replaceable, it’s a high risk high reward game sometimes. I throw everything I own on 20lb flouro , from shell crackers, to ufos, to deps 250s. 
in all honesty, fish what you’re comfortable with. Confidence is key in swimbait fishing

Grip it and rip it. If you ain't throwing where you can lose it, your missing out! 

Throw shitty baits in tough areas first until you know where/how to cast without losing them. When you lose one you won't be mad.

When I lost my first 2 baits...deps 250s I went home. Lost my next baits brand new out of package 190 bullshooters and 8" bullshad, I went home.

Lost 2 tiny klashes same night, same spot, same cast and I stayed. Got my PB at the time that night same cast that I lost my 2 TKs. 

All part of the game. If you buy baits to put on a wall that's fine, but if it's to fish buy 2!

dont hinder your fishing by being afraid to lose a bait if thats the way you look at it its never gonna pan out you might as well throw 150pound straight braid and fish dead open water you may catch fish here or there but never figure out the true potential of a big bait 

2 hours ago, BPayne said:

Alright guys, I’m starting to think I may need a push to get me moving in the right direction.  I’ve been throwing all my stuff on 25 lb Maxima Ultragreen Mono since I first got my big bait setup.  I knew at the time that it wouldn’t be allowing my baits to achieve their full potential, but I considered it insurance to help prevent losing baits (and I haven’t lost one yet *knock on wood*).  At the time I started, I was worried about losing $50+/- baits…now, I’ve got a few $200+ baits and the fear of losing one is real.  I’ve come to the conclusion that I may be hitting a performance barrier because of my line (and probably my rod as well, but first thing’s first! lol).  I know from my traditional tackle days that straight fluorocarbon and I do NOT get on well, so that is off the table.  I do have confidence in straight co-poly, but I’m leaning towards heavy braid to mono leader.  I run a lot of braid to leader on conventional, but I’m absolutely terrified of that dreaded “dig-in” with a heavy-ish bait and watching it make its way into orbit (I had this happen a long time ago with a Hudd on straight braid making an overhand cast on a frogging rod….I know, don’t ask).  I have 1 setup for big baits (Conquest 400 on Dobyns 867).  I use that to throw everything from G2 Shellcrackers to 11” BullShads and everything in between.  So given my situation, and my fear, I need a push…reassurance or even tough love to get me to take that leap so I can move forward.  

Braid has its place but for what you are describing you would probably be worse off fishing braid than what you are doing now. If you “need” to make a change give floro a try, I thought I hated it (because of conventional fishing issues) but once I tried straight 20lb floro it totally changed my mind. Plus fishing braid cost me money losing baits for nothing. I can handle getting stuck and breaking off but casting a bait off is the worst. 

2 hours ago, BPayne said:

Given what you say then why not downsize to 20lb Ultragreen first? You already know the line, the feel, expectations and so forth. It's my confidence fallback, too. Good stuff. And the 20lb test has break strength in the neighborhood of like 28-29lb as I recall. It's oversize by design, as many brands are, you'll probably be fine. The smaller diameter will net extra distance on cast, allow crankdowns deeper, more bait freedom of movement. Just make a point of feeling that last 5 foot or so a little more often, retie a little more often, you know the drill. I'm not trying to talk you into or out of anything here, just sharing observation is all.

25 lb maxima is probably overkill for G2! Haha.. give 20 lb flouro a try. It's light enough for smaller baits but can also handle heavier baits. I think it's a good compliment line to the dobyns 867, less stretch and better feel than mono or copoly. I use Seaguar red label. It may not be the best in terms of memory but for the price it's super strong and you can change the line often to keep it fresh. For baits, they are useless if you are not throwing them. Do you want to stare at art pieces or watch them catch fish for you?  Send it! :)