2 v 3 piece wake?

willlliw

I fish a heavily pressured lake, that doesn't see too many big baits but lots of standard stuff. Despite the main forage being trout, I caught a number of fish last year in a rat. Im looking to get a trout wake to further pinpoint a bait. Im thinking ill either go with the Mattlures Meathead or MS slammer 9''. Does anyone have an opinion on 2pc vs 3pc for night fishing and highly pressured fish. 

Get the slammer, can’t go wrong and will straight unlike the meathead 

you can always get a 3 piece 9” slammer if you wanted but I’m a fan of the 2 piece 9” 

Looking at my wakes and what’s caught the most fish, 2 piece is my go to, rats, gills, slammers, trout 

have been doing really good on the zfg thundermouth  as well though 

Last year was the first time I’d spent much time fishing at night and had a lot of success on the 9” slammer, I also remember watching one of Toxic Baits YouTube videos where he said that the 2 piece baits seem to produce bigger bites than 3 piece. Having said that I recently picked up my first UFO and I’m excited to throw it at night this year

I’ve fished both. Quickly found my 2pc wakes attracted more and bigger bites. My theory is that the 2pc baits throw off a vibration or sound closer to that of a something hurt as the swim is a little more aggressive? Lol idk. The 3pc swim smoother so might look like a healthy fish, hence a harder meal to eat 

Three piece for numbers two piece for lunkers.  Just a heads up, there can be a learning curve with these baits. I almost gave up on the slammer and didnt get bit for six months. Gotta be ready to fish for one bite as being a good day. 

PS. Technically the soft tail makes a two piece really a 3 piece. 

Edited by bigpoppabass

9 hours ago, NJSwimbatslinger said:

I’ve fished both. Quickly found my 2pc wakes attracted more and bigger bites. My theory is that the 2pc baits throw off a vibration or sound closer to that of a something hurt as the swim is a little more aggressive? Lol idk. The 3pc swim smoother so might look like a healthy fish, hence a harder meal to eat 

That's a pretty interesting theory now I'd like to see the same bait in both a 2&3 pc from the underside like a bass eye pov so to speak & see how different they are ..side not always 2pc fr me  but my sherpa 3 pc looks sickk has zero rate of stall on the slowest creep 

11 hours ago, NJSwimbatslinger said:

That is interesting and not what I would have thought. Are these any other 2 piece wakes that would also work?

33 minutes ago, willlliw said:

That is interesting and not what I would have thought. Are these any other 2 piece wakes that would also work?

I think what your ask is if other 2pc baits have a similar swim? I think most rat and fish profile 2pc baits will have that “panicked” swim. No way to really tell thou. Just my thoughts