5x2 (5lb smallie and 5lb largie) on Real Prey gill + Suddartg gill wake in NJ

KeepinItReelFishing

That smallie had to give her all to get the Real Prey swallowed.  Its a pretty tall profile lure as it relates to a smallmouth's mouth.  She matches my PB smallie to the oune at 5lbs 3oz.  Previous PB was on a craw/jig lure, so I'm pretty stoked that the bigger swimbait did its thing and brought about the big bite this time around.  As an aside...just look at that Real Prey gill.  Its a creation of BEAUTY both in form and in function (swim).  A real gem from the Joe Rainville shop.

The largemouth was a crushing strike!  Super shallow, and in a field of flooded standing timber.   I love to pitch small-ish bluegill lures into these areas.  Employing that technique this time of year (pre spawn/early spawn)  with these size lures is an easy recipe for the big females.  I find upsizing the lure hasn't brought about bigger bites as the big girls are right there...your not drawing them from a distance where the bigger bait might be beneficial.  Also, part of this big bass Russian roulette of fishing dense standing timber with wakes is trying to midigate the risk of them wrapping around trees and breaking free, which is admittedly high.  As such, I find the lighter lures like the Suddartg gill, (2oz resin) or staples like the BDB Shellcracker G2 (1.5oz injection molded) stay pinned much better than the larger, heavier options when those fish do wrap and you have to get the boat over to them.  Less mass = less tearing force applied during head shakes.  

Anytime you catch two 5lb fish in NJ, especially with one being a smallmouth, your having a hell of a day!  Super. Duper. STOKED!

A day like this necessitates a video!  Editing to commence.........now.

Small hoz hold.jpg

Smallie vert hold2.jpg

Small RP in mouth.jpg

Smallie meas board.jpg

Large vert hold.jpg

Large meas board.jpg

Edited by KeepinItReelFishing