Hoog glide

Rangermike

I started out a big fan of the deps but on the lakes I fish I get more bites with a change of speed and direction and the deps can blow out. I started using the taxi more because it solved a few of the issues I was having. Notably better hookups, slower sink so easier to work over wood, a little easier to cast and can be more erratic without blowing out. 

But I was looking for something to use as change of pace and possibly a different action. I ended watching Swimbait reviews mainly swim vids and loved the hoog glide. I bought one and have been impressed so far.

The paint job is top notch and seems durable but to be fair it doesn’t have many hours on it. More importantly the glide is insane it has the widest glide I have found. What this does is allow me to keep it moving and not give the fish a good like while keeping it over a key piece of cover. 

The taxi which I do love seems to have certain baits with a wide glide while some walk and don’t want to go as wide. I have tried 4 hoog glides and all have great action. One thing I loved about the taxi was the hookup ratio. The hoog seems to also have a great hookup rate despite the wider body mainly due to the hook placement.

But the biggest thing I’ve noticed that made me order a few more is more fish commit and eat it. It’s a 9 inch bait with great draw power but gets more bites from the 2-4lb fish than the taxi or deps from what I can tell. I feel it’s for the same reason you get the very wide glide it’s thinner and more hydrodynamic (guessing that’s word). Lighter pulls work the bait and it moves less water so it would have to push less water and feel smaller through the bass lateral line. 

I’ll have a better feel for durability and other traits of the bait when I get more hours but I’m a huge fan so far. I have been catching fish on it the best numbers of any glide I used and this is huge for me because I also fish lots of tournaments and I expect it to pay for itself in the near future. 

Also last and definitely not least grade A customer service he put a gift in with my order something I remember Matt servant doing years ago that shows he’s a standup guy and I have all the trust in the baitmaker as well. If I’m being honest I waited til this last drop to post the review so I could make sure I got a few more because I don’t expect the glides to be that easy to get in the future.

Edited by Rangermike