Injected Rago and mini slammer replacement tails

chefjayson

Attention all grass root bait makers. I have both baits listed above. He is my question to all soft plastic bait makers. I spoke with Mike Shaw from MS Slammer. I explained to him that I have a few mini slammers. There great for my area this time of year because they fish like a rat bait. I have lost a couple tails already here is my dilemma. When I spoke to him about replacement tails he explained that the gentleman who was making his soft plastic tails had passed away a few months back. At this point he had no leads on being able to reproduce more. He told me to use a creme worm or a zoom the cavity that the worm would fit in is way larger then the circumference of those style worms. You have to fold them in half then put the pin back in to make it work. The original tails are way better and are a completely different shape. (Anyone out there that has replicated them please contact me)

Next is the Injected Rago Rat it is an inexpensive bait priced at $20 bucks all most a disposable bait as far as swimbait prices go. The tail design in my opinion is the poorest design for a rat out there. The tail fits into the back and has a staple type clip that fits inside the bait. First cast I land a solid 3.5# the fish did a head shake and poof tail is gone. Before I crazy glue a creme worm back into the back of this bait I was wondering if anyone knows where to get replacement tails and or the pins for this bait please help.

If you can get a hold of an original you can easily make a plaster of Paris mold that you can make a one piece or a two piece mold, if you want to get fancy. Then just pour in your soft plastics.

Attention all grass root bait makers. I have both baits listed above. He is my question to all soft plastic bait makers. I spoke with Mike Shaw from MS Slammer. I explained to him that I have a few mini slammers. There great for my area this time of year because they fish like a rat bait. I have lost a couple tails already here is my dilemma. When I spoke to him about replacement tails he explained that the gentleman who was making his soft plastic tails had passed away a few months back. At this point he had no leads on being able to reproduce more. He told me to use a creme worm or a zoom the cavity that the worm would fit in is way larger then the circumference of those style worms. You have to fold them in half then put the pin back in to make it work. The original tails are way better and are a completely different shape. (Anyone out there that has replicated them please contact me)

Next is the Injected Rago Rat it is an inexpensive bait priced at $20 bucks all most a disposable bait as far as swimbait prices go. The tail design in my opinion is the poorest design for a rat out there. The tail fits into the back and has a staple type clip that fits inside the bait. First cast I land a solid 3.5# the fish did a head shake and poof tail is gone. Before I crazy glue a creme worm back into the back of this bait I was wondering if anyone knows where to get replacement tails and or the pins for this bait please help.

The tails on the mini slammers are Ron-Z lures. Ron was a good friend and member of my tuna club that unfortunately passed away a few months ago after a lengthy battle with cancer. His baits were developed for use as casting jigs for striped bass and later reworked and beefed up to handle the influx of bluefin tuna that invade the inshore waters of Cape Cod each summer and fall. Locally around Cape Cod you can still get your hands on his lures as most tackle shops were stocked up prior to Ron's passing. Here is a list of places to contact:

http://www.tackledirect.com/ronz-lures- ... tails.html

http://www.redtoptackle.com/

http://www.goose.com/

I also heard that a few of Ron's good friends and fellow fishermen had an agreement in place with Ron to keep his business alive and well in the future under the same name.

Here are a few Bluefin that my friends and I have caught using his 4X tuna strong Ron-z lures.

post-1408-14252989279857_thumb.jpg

post-1408-14252989280548_thumb.jpg

I did the "screw in" mod using a spring from a pen. Now on my Rago Rat, I have a Got Stryper pin tail worm and the action is awesome. I've done the same for my mini Slammers as well.

can you take pictures and send the mod to me please 917-701-8005 thanks

The tails on the mini slammers are Ron-Z lures. Ron was a good friend and member of my tuna club that unfortunately passed away a few months ago after a lengthy battle with cancer. His baits were developed for use as casting jigs for striped bass and later reworked and beefed up to handle the influx of bluefin tuna that invade the inshore waters of Cape Cod each summer and fall. Locally around Cape Cod you can still get your hands on his lures as most tackle shops were stocked up prior to Ron's passing. Here is a list of places to contact:

http://www.tackledirect.com/ronz-lures- ... tails.html

http://www.redtoptackle.com/

http://www.goose.com/

I also heard that a few of Ron's good friends and fellow fishermen had an agreement in place with Ron to keep his business alive and well in the future under the same name.

Here are a few Bluefin that my friends and I have caught using his 4X tuna strong Ron-z lures.

Thank you very helpful :D

I did the "screw in" mod using a spring from a pen. Now on my Rago Rat, I have a Got Stryper pin tail worm and the action is awesome. I've done the same for my mini Slammers as well.

can you take pictures and send the mod to me please 917-701-8005 thanks

Yep. When I get home tonight.

chefjayson,

maybe this will help. any plastic tail you use will sooner or later get torn off,usually sooner. you might be able to secure the tail where it attaches to bait sufficiently but it will get bit in half soon. you'll always be replacing the tails.i have some Rago rats,but mine are the wood ones and had the same issue. here's what i did. i replaced the tails with leather (like in leather shoe laces). i secured them with a silicone adhesive. i don't feel i lose much tail action using this method.if you have to use plastic,good luck.

regards,

Casca

post-589-14252989374266_thumb.jpg

chefjayson,

maybe this will help. any plastic tail you use will sooner or later get torn off,usually sooner. you might be able to secure the tail where it attaches to bait sufficiently but it will get bit in half soon. you'll always be replacing the tails.i have some Rago rats,but mine are the wood ones and had the same issue. here's what i did. i replaced the tails with leather (like in leather shoe laces). i secured them with a silicone adhesive. i don't feel i lose much tail action using this method.if you have to use plastic,good luck.

regards,

Casca

Love all the responses this is one reason I feel honored to be part of this SU Family!

For the most part I have met some really great guys on this site! Have a awesome weekend everyone and thanks!