Opinions on rat styled baits during daytime

_CaptainCooch

Hey SBU,

Just recently picked up my first illude rat (2 pc zombie resin). I am curious to see when, where, and what times of days, and situations you would be throwing a rat style bait. I’ve only had luck at night with it so far. Would like to see what some more experienced members do with rats when throwing them. Thanks.

image.jpg

@Jim137a has been slaying on the 3 piece illude zombie during the day

I've personally done well on the toxic mink during daylight hours, cranking it down, along weed lines 

i usually reach for a slammer over a rat during the day/sunlight hours but i don't think it matters overall, its a wake bait and throw it where you think fish should be holding 

I’m far from an expert on this as I am new to the rat game as well, but I like to pitch it under low overhanging branches (doing my best to imitate a squirrel falling into the water).  I also like to throw is around grass lines and downed trees as well as any sort of man-made cover.  I have absolutely had better luck in low-light/no-light, but it definitely gets bit all day.

I'm also no rat expert, but I would say the same that BPayne said on this one. I've caught some good ones in the middle of the day, brutal heat, on a micro mink. Mostly throwing near trees that give shade, lay downs, and waking parallel to shore. Even got one in open water on a desperate hail mary throw cranking down. 

Basically the same as @Fried Lemons stated 

Fish shade pockets and shade lines under trees. 

Hard structure like downed timber with shade covering it are exceptional. 

Man made structure like docks, culverts, bridges, pilings - again with shade. 

edges of weed beds and lily pads.

Murky water is phenomenal - my home lake is a dirty filthy mess so the lip moving water and the clacking of the 3 piece Zombie attracts them. 

Cloudy overcast days and of course at night.