Life Jacket/Vest Needed

chefchris

In the market for a light weight self inflating life vest, anyone got a good recommendation or models to stay away from.  

I fish mostly nights and mostly alone, I'm a safe boater/fishermen but anything could happen. 

my biggest fear is slipping, whacking my head and falling overboard which is why I'm leaning towards the self inflating 

I’ve had the onyx AM 24 for years and would recommend it. I change the cartridge out every year on mine, overkill maybe, but I like to know it’s fresh. I’ve fallen out of the yak once like an idiot and dropped it in the lake once when taking off my sweatshirt like an idiot and it worked as it should have. I’ve tested it each year when I swap the cartridges out and it has never once failed to deploy. Some people say the deploy in the boat or compartment but never stored mine in a wet spot and never had it go off when it wasn’t supposed to  

I also fish alone and often at night and have the same fear as you…. The thing is so lightweight and comfy by now that I often forget I’m still wearing it until I get in my truck!

I use an NRS Chinook - it’s not an inflatable but it is lightweight and designed for kayaking. The current models even come with an attachment point for a strobe and some useful pockets. My only complaint is that the reflective tape on it sometimes makes me too visible when I’m trying to keep a low profile. That being said, day or night, if I’m on the water in my pontoon I’m in the vest.

Ive got a Mustang MIT 70 and Onyx AM 24. Both manuals. The Onyx is a little lower profile, but the Mustang is a little more comfortable. I tend to wear the mustang more often. Functionally they both work as advertised. I went with the manuals just because i have seen auto’s randomly inflate in the rain or if you accidentally drop it which can be annoying. The new Mustang Deluxe Auto-Hydrostatic sounds awesome (guaranteed not to auto inflate do to raid or humidity). If I had  $260 to drop on a life jacket, i would be buying that.

I've been using the Mustang ($250) for years and just bought another this year. The rearming kit is about $70-80. Years ago I had another brand inflate in a compartment from moisture. When I fish by myself I usually wear it unless there are several other boaters near by that would see something which is a rarity. 

They are expensive, but what's ones life worth? It's not a fun purchase. How much do we pay for rods, reels, swimbaits? 

• 2 weeks later...

So bass pro are onyx. So you can get a good deal if you buy bass pro brand. Be understanding that a self inflating vest will not always roll you over to the correct position. But waste pack also work well if you want a smaller profile.  Video is me flipping my yak this past year. 

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Swamp_Donkey said:

These self inflatable PFDs wouldnt be worn in the rain then obviously?

It depends which one you're talking about.  The Mustang PFD's with the hydrostatic inflator (HIT) are pressure sensitive.  From their site: "This front entry PFD automatically inflates when submerged in 4” or more water pressure", "The exclusive Hammar® Hydrostatic Inflator Technology (HIT) deploys only when submerged and not when hit with rain, spray, or humidity."

I have used a Mustang HIT inflatable PFD for 5 years now without issue.  No accidental deployments from rain/spray/humidity so far.  I don't even realize I'm wearing it.