Fast Sinking K9 ??

CAS

Obtained this 256 K9 recently which looks authentic, slightly used and not badly damaged (e.g. no cracks). Its a Lo Float model and I’m aware of how these sit in the water due to my other Lo Floats as well as DRTs specs online.  

Well this one sinks like a rock.  Fast sink or Xtra fast sink.  Something’s up and I can’t figure it out yet.  Anyone with experience having this issue and/or are aware of it any  such issues with this bait?

Main app I would obviously use it for is deep crank. 

Hey Jim @Jim137a a few details are:

1) I did weigh the bait after fishing it and it checked out at about 4oz same as my other dry normal lo float   Didn’t use a precision scale but would expect something noticeable since the thing sinks so fast 

2) when submerge in water don’t see a bubble trail from anywhere indicating where a leak could be

3) the head section is sinking not the tail.  Can tell by holding each section separately under water 

4) still sinking a few days after seeing water.  Means-if theres water inside once does it never find a way out

5) did send an email to drt usa let’s see how that customer service is

6) at this point I just want to know how this could happen if there was heavy damage it would make some sense.  Doubting manufacturing defects but have to ask the question 

4 hours ago, CAS said:

Hey Jim @Jim137a a few details are:

1) I did weigh the bait after fishing it and it checked out at about 4oz same as my other dry normal lo float   Didn’t use a precision scale but would expect something noticeable since the thing sinks so fast 

2) when submerge in water don’t see a bubble trail from anywhere indicating where a leak could be

3) the head section is sinking not the tail.  Can tell by holding each section separately under water 

4) still sinking a few days after seeing water.  Means-if theres water inside once does it never find a way out

5) did send an email to drt usa let’s see how that customer service is

6) at this point I just want to know how this could happen if there was heavy damage it would make some sense.  Doubting manufacturing defects but have to ask the question 

mine filled up through line tie took awhile to figure out took almost a year to dry out hanging after it did I put epoxy on been fine ever since Cheers

4 hours ago, gary m said:

mine filled up through line tie took awhile to figure out took almost a year to dry out hanging after it did I put epoxy on been fine ever since Cheers

Thanks man was there a way you could confirm it was the line tie?  And if so that sounds like a product defect more than due to abuse would be interested to hear DRTs take on that did you happen to ask them?  I was really hoping to be able to locate a potential leak by submerging in water or something like that.  Again not seeing major damage is the head scratcher here.  

@Jinxd12 the hardware is fine must be st35 it’s y-shaped and not heavy gage.  even when I remove the weight of the hook it sinks.  

line tie looks similar to my other lo floats actually my others have a small hole under the line tie and they behave normally 

EBDACF3E-B0B0-4D53-8C0C-0DE0F813E9CF.jpeg

F114BE9C-E86D-4CA1-A01E-5A576D8970D3.jpeg

93CDEB91-F22D-4EDE-9F34-288B1DA68A69.jpeg

I could see the water in mine its the biwasaki color but couldnt figure out how till one day started shaking it violently to see and felt tiny droplets at line tie so i hung it up it eventually dried out and I put epoxy around tie and its been good ever since was so frustrating though no way you could put it under water and find bubbles was so slow of a leak you could drill an tiny hole in to see as well cover back with epoxy sure is a bummer know your frustration  line tie wasnt loose or anything just would take on water when got full didnt swim right and sank no I never contacted them about issue lost my full moon k9 last sunday and a 44 mag retreiver hope your able to fix brother!!! Cheers!! :))

6 hours ago, CAS said:

Thanks man was there a way you could confirm it was the line tie?  And if so that sounds like a product defect more than due to abuse would be interested to hear DRTs take on that did you happen to ask them?  I was really hoping to be able to locate a potential leak by submerging in water or something like that.  Again not seeing major damage is the head scratcher here.  

@Jinxd12 the hardware is fine must be st35 it’s y-shaped and not heavy gage.  even when I remove the weight of the hook it sinks.  

line tie looks similar to my other lo floats actually my others have a small hole under the line tie and they behave normally 

EBDACF3E-B0B0-4D53-8C0C-0DE0F813E9CF.jpeg

F114BE9C-E86D-4CA1-A01E-5A576D8970D3.jpeg

93CDEB91-F22D-4EDE-9F34-288B1DA68A69.jpeg

The STY-35 weight the same as a ST-41 one size down. IE size 1 STY-35 = size 2 ST-41. The K9 come stock with ST-36 1/0. 

Thanks for the responses all.  
This is obviously a defective bait .. (maybe fixable seeing if drt actually has more ideas?) .. and there’s no way drt “tuned” a lo float k9 to sink like a rock (a comment from the person I traded with).  And noway it started the first time I received it and dropped into water.

Someone had a defective bait and wanted to offload it in a trade.  First time for me to be duped on su.  I certainty upheld my side of the bargain.  @swimbaitunderground whats the only repercussion reviews??  

@Jim137a @gary m @Bassmann86 @Jinxd12 @drtheadz

Who'd u trade with? Did they know it sank like that and didn't tell u? Did they offer to trade back? Did they offer anything to try to make it right?

U should give an honest feedback if they just offloaded a bad bait to u

3 hours ago, SumoNinja said:

Who'd u trade with? Did they know it sank like that and didn't tell u? Did they offer to trade back? Did they offer anything to try to make it right?

U should give an honest feedback if they just offloaded a bad bait to u

Right agree and I’ve been clear with them where I stand over dm for now.  Attempting to be professional about this and part of this is giving them a few days.  But at the same time they have not yet done the right thing and just straight up offered something to make it right (which is what I would do myself).  They’re also attempting to explain that the bait was made or tuned like this on purpose by drt so its normal…looking for an out but that’s a super lame one.  

So now I will directly ask is there is any offer to make it right.  If nothing then  least I have to do unfortunately is negative feedback.  I could consider sharing their name as well here pending how it works out.  Though avoiding that is best imo.

@chefchris right thanks for the troubleshooting ideas.  Was hoping I wouldn’t really be stuck with the thing and the person I received it from would man-up and take it back .. or something like that.  If I’m really stuck with it then I see holes and epoxy in my future.  One detail also if I drill and drain thats good but I still don’t know where the leak is to seal that. 

6 hours ago, CAS said:

Right agree and I’ve been clear with them where I stand over dm for now.  Attempting to be professional about this and part of this is giving them a few days.  But at the same time they have not yet done the right thing and just straight up offered something to make it right (which is what I would do myself).  They’re also attempting to explain that the bait was made or tuned like this on purpose by drt so its normal…looking for an out but that’s a super lame one.  

So now I will directly ask is there is any offer to make it right.  If nothing then  least I have to do unfortunately is negative feedback.  I could consider sharing their name as well here pending how it works out.  Though avoiding that is best imo.

@chefchris right thanks for the troubleshooting ideas.  Was hoping I wouldn’t really be stuck with the thing and the person I received it from would man-up and take it back .. or something like that.  If I’m really stuck with it then I see holes and epoxy in my future.  One detail also if I drill and drain thats good but I still don’t know where the leak is to seal that. 

It doesn't matter if drt had fast sinking k9s, the main issue is, was the sink rate disclosed? Or knowingly undisclosed? 

Certain sink rates are a deal breaker for me as I only fish specific ones. So it be messed up if I was intentionally given the wrong sink rate