0 for 6 on the weedless 68

Hojo

Throw that bait back in your box and use the regular 68 with the trap hook. We knew this would be a problem thats why I dont use weedless at all. You dont get enough bites on a swimbait to take that chance that the weedless hook will come out and do its job. Its obvious for you right? Get it done with the regular one and throw it like it was the weedless with no fear. You might loose a bait or two but we all do that fishe them correctly. My 2 cents

No pause. No load. Set at first tick, thump. Set hard and fast. Its all in the mouth by the time you react.

No drag is needed. I don't think its drag , sounds like you are waiting on them . Could be small fish too?

This is what I do..inspect your bait after a bite you will see they may have been tail grabbers or mouthing the bait right below the hook...once they commit you will get em..

Just set the hook like its a jig fast and up

Thanks for all the replies -> I did try loosening the drag... a bit too much actually which was somewhat comical when I set the hook and didn't even generate enough force to cause the fist to drop the bait. --> I forgot I had backed off the drag when I put the rod up and mentally goofed by not checking before casting (I also casted a hardbait that morning with the hook-protectors still on too).

I am going to try and switch to a more vertical hookset instead of reel till load and swing sideways. I also suspect that since I'm pond hopping, some of these fish aren't the biggest, and some of the marks are right at the hook point and other just below...but I can't go back to throwing smaller baits. Just doesn't feel right...

I will update when I do finally stick that fish! With my luck, I will somehow foul hook a 6" fish trying to "love" the bait instead of eat.

Just got back from the water and had a tough time with the 68 weedless as well. I was throwing it on an 8 foot H LDC production, 400te, and 25 lb cxx. The bite was HEAVY and the fish was holding it for about 3 seconds before she left. I used a right, parallel to the ground sweep and I really got into it. I reeled three times and thought she was stuck but it wasnt to be. After inspecting the bait, I can't see any battle wounds. I'm going to continue to learn and figure it out. As was mentioned before, we all know that a weedless bait is going to yield a more difficult time hooking up, but it is the price we pay for the weedless feature.